SEO and Title Tags etc

Pinksquid

Hi

I wonder if anyone can advise please when it comes to making the store as SEO friendly as possible?

I have set up the Seo section of the general settings with the .htaccess file etc and as far as the instructions seem to indicate. (I'm fairly new too Cubecart, and I'm not an expert on this I just follow instructions).

However, there are 2 things.

1) When I view source and look at the title tag. I always get 'shop by product' showing somewhere.

E.G. if I click on the category 'Evening dresses'.

This is what I see in the view source:

<title>Evening Dresses - Shop By Product - Womens Dresses.........

This is what the URL looks like:

http://www.pinksquidclothing.com/shop-by-p...sses/cat_6.html

Is there a way to remove 'shop by product' as I only want relevant and 'clean' keywords in the title tag?

Is there a way to remove the /cat_6htm part?

2) It also appears that the description tags are the same on the home page and the category pages. Is there a way to make that more SEO friendly too?

As far as the settings are concerned this is what I have set:

1) I have filled in all the Global meta Data fields.

2) In the SEO section I have set 'Use Search Engine Friendly URL' to 'Yes'.

3) The 'Meta Data Behaviour' is set to 'Combine With Global Meta (Recommended).

Any advise on making this more SEO friendly very much appreciated.

Thanks very much

Hi

I wonder if anyone can advise please when it comes to making the store as SEO friendly as possible?

I have set up the Seo section of the general settings with the .htaccess file etc and as far as the instructions seem to indicate. (I'm fairly new too Cubecart, and I'm not an expert on this I just follow instructions).

However, there are 2 things.

1) When I view source and look at the title tag. I always get 'shop by product' showing somewhere.

E.G. if I click on the category 'Evening dresses'.

This is what I see in the view source:

<title>Evening Dresses - Shop By Product - Womens Dresses.........

This is what the URL looks like:

http://www.pinksquidclothing.com/shop-by-p...sses/cat_6.html

Is there a way to remove 'shop by product' as I only want relevant and 'clean' keywords in the title tag?

Is there a way to remove the /cat_6htm part?

2) It also appears that the description tags are the same on the home page and the category pages. Is there a way to make that more SEO friendly too?

As far as the settings are concerned this is what I have set:

1) I have filled in all the Global meta Data fields.

2) In the SEO section I have set 'Use Search Engine Friendly URL' to 'Yes'.

3) The 'Meta Data Behaviour' is set to 'Combine With Global Meta (Recommended).

Any advise on making this more SEO friendly very much appreciated.

Thanks very much

In cubecart 4 it is very easy to take control of your SEO.

Two ways through admin, catalog, add Category or add Product:

- under your category page, choose a rich keyword category title and make sure your fill the very important box titled "Specific Category Meta Data" where you choose your specific URL address path for this page, your browser title, description and keywords.

- same comment for the product page

Create a few category pages and products as tests and soon you will get the hang of it.

Use also Google keywords tool to help you identify keywords people are seaching for in your line of business.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for your answer.

I've had another look at the categories and I think I can see why it has happened.

That said, in the 'Specific Category Meta Data' section I get them all except I'm not sure what I'm meant to put in the 'Custom Category URL' field?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi

With the help of 'sailing123' I have discovered how this is done so thank you very much.

May I just take this a little further please and ask one more thing as I cannot see how to do it?

If I have a category called 'leggings', my URL says www.pinksquidclothing.com/leggings/cat_14.html.

And then click on 'sequin leggings' the URL is www.pinksquidclothing.com/sequin-leggings/prod_2.html.

How can I get the URL to remove the end part (e.g./prod_2.html or cat_14.html)?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi

With the help of 'sailing123' I have discovered how this is done so thank you very much.

May I just take this a little further please and ask one more thing as I cannot see how to do it?

If I have a category called 'leggings', my URL says www.pinksquidclothing.com/leggings/cat_14.html.

And then click on 'sequin leggings' the URL is www.pinksquidclothing.com/sequin-leggings/prod_2.html.

How can I get the URL to remove the end part (e.g./prod_2.html or cat_14.html)?

Thanks for your help in advance.

This is a good question, I have not worked out it myself, I get the same. Ok the URL is not perfect but from a SEO point of view, you get your keywords listed.

Either this is it or maybe there is a commercial mod to fix it ?

Can anyone else answer this one ?