Cannot install

Guest Slinky

Guest Slinky

Hi all.

Just downloaded CC3 and followed the pdf instructions. Well, saying that, my ISP said they were wrong but tried two things.

The pdf stated to upload to my publicly accessible folder. I did this but the ISP staff stated cgi scripts can only be run from your 'hidden' cgi folder. So, I uploaded them to both just to make sure. When I navigate to my 'normal' web address all I see is the list of files and folders uploaded. If I enter the different address (has cgi before my web address) then it states server error.

Anyone have any suggestions I could try please?

It's going to be a pain if I can only run this through http://ccgi.mywebsite/shop/ as I'd like to use my address www.mywebsite.co.uk/shop

I've no idea what to even try now.

TIA,

James

It's your ISP that is wrong. Hundreds of thousands of instances of CC3 have been installed using those instructions.

I can't tell from your description exactly what you have done because you are describing things in general terms. When you say you have uploaded "to my publicly accessible folder" I am not going to assume it is the same place as the folder labeled "public_html." For all I know you may have uploaded to a folder of some other name.

Also, we need to confirm that you are on a Linux server (or more specifically, NOT on a Windows server).

Does your server offer cPanel?

Let's start by clarifying that stuff and we'll go on from there.

Guest Slinky

It's your ISP that is wrong. Hundreds of thousands of instances of CC3 have been installed using those instructions.

I can't tell from your description exactly what you have done because you are describing things in general terms. When you say you have uploaded "to my publicly accessible folder" I am not going to assume it is the same place as the folder labeled "public_html." For all I know you may have uploaded to a folder of some other name.

Also, we need to confirm that you are on a Linux server (or more specifically, NOT on a Windows server).

Does your server offer cPanel?

Let's start by clarifying that stuff and we'll go on from there.

Hi,

Just had a mail back from the support section of my ISP. They say again it will only work from the CCGI space. I had the files uploaded to both (CCGI and 'normal'). Ok, when I said public accessible files, for any index.html (just a 'hello' page) would go into docs/index.html. So, any files have to go to the docs folder. So, I uploaded to docs/shop. When I enter the URL it only shows a list of files. If I click on the index.php I get a 'open or save' dialog box.

When I enter it with the cgi address it just error or something.

The ISP have said it is in the right place (CCGI space) but there is an error in the index.php that needs to be corrected.

I'm waiting for them to get back to me re if the server is windows or linux. I can't find any mention of cpanel in their support pages either.

So, it seems if the index page is correct, it will run from their CCGI space but will never run from where I have a plain home page.

Can you pick anything from that?

Many thanks for your time,

James

what is the URL of that hosting service? And which of their plans are you subscribed to?

And I must repeat, everything you have reported about what your ISP says is 100% wrong. On a Linux server there is no file or folder called "normal" nor is there one called CCGI. There should be one called public_html.

But at this point, I am suspecting strongly that you are on the wrong kind of s server. That's why I need to know the answer to the first two questions above before we go any further.

Guest Slinky

what is the URL of that hosting service? And which of their plans are you subscribed to?

And I must repeat, everything you have reported about what your ISP says is 100% wrong. On a Linux server there is no file or folder called "normal" nor is there one called CCGI. There should be one called public_html.

But at this point, I am suspecting strongly that you are on the wrong kind of s server. That's why I need to know the answer to the first two questions above before we go any further.

I'm now guessing that it's a windows server. There are two places to place files with plus.net. One gets uploaded (simple html files) to your 'normal' webspace and for scripts they get uploaded to your cgi webspace. Until you upload anything, there are no files of any extension. You upload to your docs folder anything you want or for scripts to cgi.plus.com.

I expect I have this badly wrong and assumed you could upload it to the free webspace you are given by your ISP (who still claim it would work from my cgi space if the index.php didn't have errors).

maybe my next step should be finding webspace on a linux server then?

James

Yes. look for a Linux server that includes cPanel.

See my PM

I'm now guessing that it's a windows server. There are two places to place files with plus.net. One gets uploaded (simple html files) to your 'normal' webspace and for scripts they get uploaded to your cgi webspace. Until you upload anything, there are no files of any extension. You upload to your docs folder anything you want or for scripts to cgi.plus.com.

I expect I have this badly wrong and assumed you could upload it to the free webspace you are given by your ISP (who still claim it would work from my cgi space if the index.php didn't have errors).

maybe my next step should be finding webspace on a linux server then?

James