Huge problem with thumbnail images

Guest JewelryCollectibles

Here is a situation I never encountered before in 10 years of dealing with e-commerce. My client's site has been up for well over a year, no problems. Yesterday all of her images on her website disappeared, everything that was stored in images/uploads. Gone. No thumbnails, no product images. Just gone.

I tried reloading some images, and they loaded into the products fine, and in the admin area they appeared as thumbnails. I assumed when I refreshed the store itself the thumbnails would be back. No thumbnails.

I upgraded her store to the most recent version, thinking that would solve it. It didn't. She now has the latest version of CC4 but still no thumbnails.

I tried rebuilding the thumbnails and I get an error message, which is:

Warning: imagejpeg() [function.imagejpeg]: Unable to open '/home/content/s/w/i/mystore/html/store/images/uploads/thumbs/thumb_babygiftset2.JPG' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/w/i/mystore/html/store/classes/gd/gd.inc.php on line 234

all of the images are jpgs and what's more, they are the exact same images that worked fine in her store for over a year, no problem.

Can anyone advise me as to what's going on and how I can fix this???

Thanks in advance.

Are the files actually there? Ie view the page source, and locate the img src (in HTML) and check the file is reachable from the browser.

If not, check for the file via FTP. If you can find /images/uploads make sure the case is correct (ie not Images/Uploads etc)

If its missing via FTP, and you are sure your client (or anyone else) has messed with the site, then it leaves 2 options;

-The account has been hacked

-The webhost has made changes, and messed things up.

Post the url for more help..

Are the files actually there? Ie view the page source, and locate the img src (in HTML) and check the file is reachable from the browser.

If not, check for the file via FTP. If you can find /images/uploads make sure the case is correct (ie not Images/Uploads etc)

If its missing via FTP, and you are sure your client (or anyone else) has messed with the site, then it leaves 2 options;

-The account has been hacked

-The webhost has made changes, and messed things up.

Post the url for more help..

Thanks for replying. The first thing I did after shaking my head in disbelief was go in through FTP and the entire images folder was empty. Completely empty.

No one has FTP access to the site except me not even my client because she has better things to do like run her business. It's just me. She told me her husband had been on the site only in a few hours before and no pics were missing. My gut feeling is that the webhost had a glitch or screwed up.

However, that does NOT explain the fact that I can add any given image back in to any given product and that works fine, but no thumbmail is generated. When I try to rebuild thumbnails, I get the error message I noted in my post above.

As though something is no longer working as far as creating thumbnail images. I ran compat-test.php and all is compatible.

The URL is http://www.getfreshchocolate.com

I added the chocolate baby favors back in (pics) and the fruit nut clusters back in, also the chocolate platters. Pics look good and loaded normally. However, NO thumbnails were generated.

I'd appreciate any insight that anyone can give. Very weird indeed. Thanks.

Hi

Just a thought, but try uploading an image with the suffix .jpg rather than .JPG and see if that will generate a thumbnail. If that works, it will mean changing all your images to .jpg. Probably the quickest way to do that would be to export catalogue, open in excel , then use Find & Replace to change the suffix's then import back. I'm not 100% whether that is the best way as I haven't tried it and you may know a quicker/better way.

Good luck!

Lee

Hi

Just a thought, but try uploading an image with the suffix .jpg rather than .JPG and see if that will generate a thumbnail. If that works, it will mean changing all your images to .jpg. Probably the quickest way to do that would be to export catalogue, open in excel , then use Find & Replace to change the suffix's then import back. I'm not 100% whether that is the best way as I haven't tried it and you may know a quicker/better way.

Good luck!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Previously when all of the images were up they were a mix of .jpg and .JPG and it never mattered. Everything displayed perfectly correctly for an entire year ~ both thumbnails and the larger product images.

I tried what you suggested with just one item to see if now it would make any difference. It does not.

I get a large product picture, I get a thumbnail image in the admin view products area but NOT in the storefront itself.

Is there any reason does anyone know why the thumbnail function would possibly stop working?? I need to get this fixed for my client ASAP. Summer is her slow time so if anything was going to go wrong like it has, this is a good time however it needs to be fixed.

Here is the error message again:

Warning: imagejpeg() [function.imagejpeg]: Unable to open '/home/content/s/w/i/mystore/html/store/images/uploads/thumbs/thumb_babygiftset2.JPG' for writing: No such file or directory in /home/content/s/w/i/mystore/html/store/classes/gd/gd.inc.php on line 234

And here is the coding from line 234: (actually I copied from 231 to 234)

if ($config['gdversion']>0) {

switch($this->img['format']) {

case IMAGETYPE_JPEG:

imagejpeg($this->img['des'], $save, $this->img['quality']);

I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

Guest zandebar

Hi....

Do you have full control over your server Or do you have shared hosting?

I am running the latest version of CC4 and I have no problems, with thumbs displaying.

I would go down the server route first, I suspect that the hosting company have made changes to the running off the server config.

or server files need to be reinstalled relating to PHP and SQL.

First of all copy your client site to a secondry server that isn't with that host or on a different server; check to see if this happens there.

Another way to test is to setup a local testing server something like lamp, mamp, wamp to name the cross platform webserver. Thats if you haven't got one setup already. If you do decide to setup a local webserver for testing, CC won't work out of the box. You will need to install ioncube; to enable the scripts to run as some of CC scripts are encoded. Also send CC a support ticket asking them to add localhost and 127.0.0.1 to your assigned domains on any CC key. Setup CC using this key during installation or you could use a trial key only lasts about 30 days though. Also remember that CC does validation checks every 14days as part of the script.

If it still does this then it could point to mods made on the site, CC4 has had some extensive updates in the latter versions which may make your mods uncompatible. 99.9% of files have been ajusted in someway from CC developers and this could be impacting on your issue. The first and easy method would be ruling out the server config. Then move onto the script itelf.

Also remember that Linux/Unix servers are case sensitive, its good practice I find that all exention files are all lowercase, it helps with confusion.

Hi,

can you go to;

admin>Misc>Server Info

This will provide the output from PHPinfo

Search for the value against

DOCUMENT_ROOT

The error is that it cannot write to the folder specified;

/home/content/s/w/i/mystore/html/store/images/uploads/thumbs/

Now... this could be a simple permissions problem (which I think you've checked), or an incorrect root path in the global.inc.php file.

It can be found in /includes/global.inc.php

Can you also post 1 piece of information from this file?

$glob['rootRel'] = '/';

(please do not post anythign else - this file contains senstive information)

My guess, is that the hosting company has moved the store/tweaked their server, and this is causing your problems.

Jason

Guest zandebar

V,

I think its most likely a TWEAK made on the config: As for moving the site onto a different server the pathing is relative and the DNS is resolving the store.

Even if she has checked the permissions its well worth checking again just to make sure, and does the permission change for any reason after the upload and when the images disappear.

I think she's on shared hosting with godaddy, or is it partialdaddy hehehe, as you suggested check the PHP INFO. The easy method would be contacting the hosting company and finding out if they have made any changes to the server config recently and if so what.

Also her other images are working properly, just the thumbs.

@JewelryCollectibles: Are you on a windows or Linux/Unix server?