Can CC4 handle this

Guest graisbeck

Hi,

Whats the maximum amount of products CC4 can handle?

Thanks,

Gary

How many products you looking to add?

I've personally run a CC3 site with 4000+ products.

I've assisted with stores with 10,000 products, and also 10 products :-)

The problem is really down to stock control, and managing this number of products at your end.

If you're drop-shipping, then ensuring you're not advertising products that are out of stock from your supplier is also a common problems - which will apply to any store system.

edit: just read 8000 should be fine, but really depends on how you'll be adding them. Again, this is similar with other carts, you'll either need to automate the entry or spend a month or so adding the products by hand.

Jason

Hi Gary,

on a basic level, CC4 will allow you to upload a CSV file. This is fairly basic, and if the invetory is low moving may be ok.

There are 3rd party mods that provide better features, either CSV or XML. Alternativle, if the feed is fairly regulary updated (ie from your supplier) then you may need to hire a coder.

One problem is that you don't want to delete all your products and start again with each import. This will create new URLs, messing up the site index on all search engines.

So, if you're using a drop-shipping company for fulfilment, then ideally you need a stock-refresh tool, and a product import tool. The stock-refresh tool will simply overwrite stock levels, the product import tool will add new products.

You may also want some way to remove old products that are no longer on the stock list.

If you actually hold stock, then things can get a bit easier, and this will vary depending on how you manage stock levels currently.

In this case, a single bulk import (using existing csv import, or 3rd party mod) should be ok as I would assume you'll be very aware of new product lines and can add them manually.

The other things to consider are images and categories. The CC4 CSV import won't handle images (so you'll still need to manage that yourself), and automatically assigning to a category can be tricky.

I would suggest chatting over at cubecartforums.org - there are lots of options, and depending on what you need (and are willing to spend), a fully automated approach is possible, or perhaps one of the "off the shelf" existing mods or features within CC4.

Jason

I've personally setup stores with over 100,000 products and host a couple of stores with well over 10k products including one with over 58k. The key really is in having a method to manage the inventories in bulk rather than via the store's admin panel.

:w00t:

Guest degsey69

My store has 10,000 products which cubecart can easily handle, I also have an import feed that updates the stock daily and my store also exports a feed to two others as well as.

Cubecart V4 is very underated and is very capable of a lot of things if modded correctly.

Guest graisbeck

Thanks for the info.

I will have to look in to some sort of import feed, but which method would you guys recommend as I'm still fairly new to Cubecart?

Also which mods would you recommend?

To be honest, the import will really depend on how you're getting the product listings. Please explain your business.

Not much point in paying for a dynamic xml importer on an hourly cron job, if the products very rarely change and the built-in CC4 importer may be ok.

3rd party mods should be discussed over at cubecartforums.org

Jason