Image management

Guest Iane

Hi,

Ive managed to upload plenty of images on my site ,and its doing Ok , but Id love to up load extra images , to the image gallery.

I have about 10 images from some of the first images I up loaded in the image editor , but have no idea how they got there. These I can add as extra images to the product in a gallery below , or delete.

I have about 140 images in the FCK editor , but can only upload them to products , cant add them to an existing product , change size etc

I thought they werent stored in the image editor as I started to put groups of images in files , but I have images not in files , also not in the image editor .

I also dont really get image size .... product images all seem to be the same size .... great , but category images are all over the place , but it would be really useful to me to have some of the category images bigger , like headers.

Im great with racing motorcycles , but out of my depth here.

So if anyones kind enough to offer advice , please bear in mind Im not really up to speed on this , and take it slow...

Thanks

Ian E

WWW.IANE.CO.UK

Hi Ian,

Biker here too :-)

CubeCart will resize product images you've uploaded automatically, the actual sizes are determined by the values in "General Settings". The system will constrain either axis to the size specified and retain aspect ratio.

This may be ok, but if some images are tall/long, they may actually be shrunk a bit too much.

The workflow I normally use is;

1. Create new product (System will bring up a long-ish form)

2. Enter details, and then ADD IMAGE

3. Upload all images for that product

4. Once uploaded, then pick one as the Primary Image (ie the main one used when browsing the store)

5. Finish adding product details (weight/stock etc), click UPDATE

6. Locate the product (in admin, but do not edit!) click "Manage Images" link, then you'll see a list of images that you can "ADD" to the current product.

This will give you a pop-up/lightbox view of the images associated with a particular product.

Category images are not resized. I would recommend using irfanview (google it) to resize images (there is also a handy web export plugin to optimise filesize).

Alternatively, I strongly recommend using the free "HTML Category Descriptions mod" - this will allow you to add a header to each category page using the FCK editor (so you can use images/flash/text etc)

If you have many products (or many product images), you will need to stick to a good naming policy (so DSC2323.jpg won't help you!). There is an "advanced image manager" mod (also free!), this allows you to place images into folders, and is a great little extra.

All these mods can be found over at http://www.cubecartforums.org

I hope this helps,

Jason