Charge fee for American Express

Guest cwalter

Guest cwalter

Hi

Does anyone know if or how i can add a fee for customers using american express credit cards, i use the eway payment gateway and products i sell can reach thousands of dollars so the 2.7% amx take out of my sales is cutting.

Any assistance would be much appreciated

cwalter

Hi

Does anyone know if or how i can add a fee for customers using american express credit cards, i use the eway payment gateway and products i sell can reach thousands of dollars so the 2.7% amx take out of my sales is cutting.

cwalter

Does this break AMEX's Terms and Conditions? 2.7% isn't so bad. If you had to receive a check, the cost of banking (your time) and processing costs (UK business accounts normally charge a small amount for cheques) wouldn't be too far away from this anyway.

If you add a few % to the order, customers will notice and will either abandon their cart, or complain.

People ask the same for PayPal (which is also a breach of their terms), they need to increase their profit margin, (reduce their costs or increase prices).

Guest cwalter

Hi

cwalter

Does this break AMEX's Terms and Conditions? 2.7% isn't so bad. If you had to receive a check, the cost of banking (your time) and processing costs (UK business accounts normally charge a small amount for cheques) wouldn't be too far away from this anyway.

If you add a few % to the order, customers will notice and will either abandon their cart, or complain.

People ask the same for PayPal (which is also a breach of their terms), they need to increase their profit margin, (reduce their costs or increase prices).

Hi Vokf

It does not breat any terms and conditions, i spoke to AMX to complain about the big chunks of money they take out of my sales, they said they can not stop me from adding a fee to use AMX. Most business i know charge a feee for AMX. My sales can add up to over 5 thousand per sale and 2.7% of that is too high for an unecessary fee from amx. Visa and Mastercard do not charge us so not sure why AMX does.

I have no hesitation in advertising all over mny site that if you use AMX it includes an extra fee, But visa and mastercard is free to use. I just dont know how to add this fee.

any assistance in how to ad the fee would be much appreciated.

Please this is not a debate on if i should add fee or not, its a request for assistance on if a fee can be added.

Thanks Heaps

cwalter

Disclaimer: I am very familiar with CC3, but not so much with CC4. Still, I would take this approach - briefly stated:

Modify the payment gateway to accept only V/MC (Visa numbers start with 4 and MC start with 5). Copy/Rename that gateway and modify the copy to accept only AMEX (numbers start with 3) plus add a non-taxable percentage. Have both copies of the gateway enabled which shows up as a radio button choice of payment during checkout.

Hi CWalter,

totally understand, and sorry if I made the assumption that it was a minor problem for you. I've seen many people complain about PayPal fees when they are selling items for £20! (so typically £0.88!)

Brians (BSmither) method will work.

If you're unable to code this yourself, I suggest asking in the "hire a developer" area of CubeCartforums.org

I'm interested in your comments about Visa/Mastercard not charging - does this mean you have no transaction fees? Most merchants in the UK pay about 2% (but does vary with transaction levels)

Jason

Guest cwalter

Hi Jason

As far as i know there is no charge for visa and mastercard, i use eway which charges an annual fee and accepts visa, mastercard and amx, and evertime a payment is taken via amx the people at amx take a big chunk out of it instantly. and nothing extra is taken for visa and mastercard..

Thanks for the advice i will ask over at cubecartforum.org.

Thanks again

cwalter.