VAT - Channel Islands are Exempt from VAT?

Just had an existing customer contact me, I went VAT registered on the 1st of November...

This customer is based in the Channel Islands, he's from Jersey, and has asked how "my website" accounts for VAT to the Channel Islands, as they are the oddity in all this, as they are technically, for VAT purposes, not part of the UK or the EEC, so products (and therefore the carriage charge too) are meant to be VAT exempt...

Have other CubeCart users experienced this, and how did you get round it? as being as the customer registers as being in the UK, they obviously get charges VAT on the products and associated carriage...

The only thing I can think to do is setup a new country code for the channel islands and ask this customer to (or I could edit his customer record) change his country of residence to this new Channel Islands country...

Your thoughts ladies and mentalmen?

Dave, Bits4Vits

I'm VAT registered,

I have VAT turned off on Cubecart and all prices are inc VAT, it was just easier at the time, I have internal accounts to do anyway which produces VAT invoices.

If it's just the one Customer/ one invoice I'd give him a discount coupon to remove VAT from products.

It does tend to be quiet in here.

• 3 months later...
Guest juddracing

I'm VAT registered,

I have VAT turned off on Cubecart and all prices are inc VAT, it was just easier at the time, I have internal accounts to do anyway which produces VAT invoices.

If it's just the one Customer/ one invoice I'd give him a discount coupon to remove VAT from products.

It does tend to be quiet in here.

I had this problem and i added a country called UK CHANNEL ISLANDS and set is as vat free and then edit your customers details to this country

Guest discoworld

For the amount of orders we take from Non VAT customers we just charge everything including the VAT and don't get involved in removing it as it just becomes a nightmare. Maybe we loose out on orders because of this, I'm not sure.