4.4.3 Upgrade

Guest Roger Huston

Guest Roger Huston

Does anyone else notice that with almost every patch fix that Devellion seems to always rework the headers to each PHP file? For those of us who use a Diff tool to verify changed files, every single file comes up. Why must we always go through this with every update? poor programming practices if you ask me.

- Roger

Reason for edit: Breach of Forum Rules.

Bad programming? Not at all. They'll be using subversion/other source control system, and these headers (that are comments, not code) must change if they move offices or any of the information in the header becomes outdated.

Not sure what comparison tool you use, but most allow you to ignore comments, and so reading the documentation of the tools you're using should allow this problem to disappear for you.

Otherwise.. use the DIFF file...

Guest Roger Huston

Vokf,

I know what headers are and how to use them. I have been setting the standards for source control for companies large and small for over 15-years. In addition, I am not talking about the header line of the header, where the source control can put in its version info. I am talking about the whole header to the file. They put in addresses, they take them out, they change email address, etc. Lots of little things. Sure you could just bypass all these changes, I understand that. However, a good developer needs to verify the changes. I personally, have on more than one occasion I have found changes in the code that were not in the diff they included with the changes.

So I look at the diff provided, then I look at all the changes I see in red and say - oh, they changed a lot more than just what they said they did. Then you have to go through and verify all these files to make sure that is the ONLY stuff they didn't tell you about.

Also, why change all that stuff on a minor updated? This is 4.4.2 to 4.4.3? I can see changing headers from version 4 to 5, but on a minor update? Just poor programing practices.

- Roger

I personally, have on more than one occasion I have found changes in the code that were not in the diff they included with the changes.

Now, THAT is not very good.

I'm not interested in your background (20yrs embedded developer here, 10yrs of Source Code Control :ninja2: ), there is a fairly simple way around this problem, and with your experience, I'm sure its really a non-issue.

Changing address details in the comments header are a valid thing to do if the business address has changed. If the information is there, it needs to be correct. I hope any diffs are not extra commas or punctuation, but I know they moved offices earlier this year.

If changes are being made to files, but not in the diff file, this is a problem and I do hope that this is picked up by Al.