Seddon & Black Consumables

Steaming North

First try at a website, but with a lot of help from a friend I think I'm finally getting there. I had minimum knowledge when I first started it (back in April - ish) and learning more every week.

www.seddonandblack.co.uk

Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecited. There are a few things I'd like to do but just don't know how.

Cheers,

Joe

[email protected]

First try at a website, but with a lot of help from a friend I think I'm finally getting there. I had minimum knowledge when I first started it (back in April - ish) and learning more every week.

www.seddonandblack.co.uk

Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecited. There are a few things I'd like to do but just don't know how.

Cheers,

Joe

[email protected]

Very good - my type of products :-)

A few improvements I would recommend looking into;

-Favicon, consider adding/replacing it with your own. This will then appear on the browser, in bookmarks (on computers and phones) and simply looks nice with no serious work.

-Styling on Basket/Cart pages. I added a product (MSM003) and the product title/price etc was very large and didn't really look right. Also consider making the "X" (remove product) icon a transparent background (gif)

"forgot your password" background is blue.. consider changing to a different colour. There are quite a few different styles in the cart area, and its worth checking its consistent with the rest of the site.

-Consider getting a few more pictures of yourselves for the "about us" page, it looks like you're promoting yourself as offering a personal service (which I see as a good thing!), and so getting to know "Joe" and "Tony" would help.

-It looks like you have 2 bits of Google Analytics code on the store... one can be removed, this may speed up loading of the site.

-In your terms, there is no mention of your returns policy. For your and your customers, I would strongly recommend reading up on the UK Distance Selling regulations. If you are selling to consumers, you'll need to offer a 7 day review time where they can return goods. If you don't list a returns policy, then this can be harmful to your business (if there are problems).

I didn't want to create a test purchase, but if you don't have your logo (and colours) in PayPal, then its worth considering adding this. You'll need your image on a SSL domain, there are low-cost services that offer this (£2-£3 per year), or you could add a SSL certificate to your store to add customer confidence (depending on what your web host will charge).

The PayPal system will allow you to provide a URL to your logo, and also change a few colours, this can really help with confidence when non-technical customers purchase and are suddenly faced with a very different looking PayPal screen..!

Good stuff anyway!

Jason

www.seddonandblack.co.uk

Cheers,

Joe

[email protected]

Very good - my type of products :-)

A few improvements I would recommend looking into;

-Favicon, consider adding/replacing it with your own. This will then appear on the browser, in bookmarks (on computers and phones) and simply looks nice with no serious work.

-Styling on Basket/Cart pages. I added a product (MSM003) and the product title/price etc was very large and didn't really look right. Also consider making the "X" (remove product) icon a transparent background (gif)

"forgot your password" background is blue.. consider changing to a different colour. There are quite a few different styles in the cart area, and its worth checking its consistent with the rest of the site.

-Consider getting a few more pictures of yourselves for the "about us" page, it looks like you're promoting yourself as offering a personal service (which I see as a good thing!), and so getting to know "Joe" and "Tony" would help.

-It looks like you have 2 bits of Google Analytics code on the store... one can be removed, this may speed up loading of the site.

-In your terms, there is no mention of your returns policy. For your and your customers, I would strongly recommend reading up on the UK Distance Selling regulations. If you are selling to consumers, you'll need to offer a 7 day review time where they can return goods. If you don't list a returns policy, then this can be harmful to your business (if there are problems).

I didn't want to create a test purchase, but if you don't have your logo (and colours) in PayPal, then its worth considering adding this. You'll need your image on a SSL domain, there are low-cost services that offer this (£2-£3 per year), or you could add a SSL certificate to your store to add customer confidence (depending on what your web host will charge).

The PayPal system will allow you to provide a URL to your logo, and also change a few colours, this can really help with confidence when non-technical customers purchase and are suddenly faced with a very different looking PayPal screen..!

Good stuff anyway!

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that - I don't understand it all but will attempt to!

Favicon - I didn't know what that once but I do now. Having made a favicon using an online tool, what do I do with it now? I am VERY novice at this and understand that people make a living out of doing these websites, so if you can't or would rather not say then I'll get "our man" to do it.

Basket/cart - definitely one for "our man".

Google analytics - hadn't realised that - "our man" again! How did you know there were two?

Returns - good point. A complete oversight on my part. Is there a "standard" policy which is commonly used?

PayPal/SSL - I have argued with PayPal trying to get the logos on and SSL...straight over my head. Will speak to my web host (also a good friend).

Again, thanks.

It's nice to get some constructive criticism and not just get the "bugger off amateur" attitude I was fearing!

Joe

Hi Joe,

The favicon file (that you created online) needs to be uploaded to the root of the website, You or "your guy" then needs to add a line to 2 template files. Kinectic's post from 2009 is spot-on;

On the Google Analytics, I can view the source (HTML) code of the page, and can see 2 entries. I may be wrong, but I'd get him to check it out.

PayPal image hosting - they provide details on their website;

https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/solutions_imagehosting

You'll pay a small amount, and normally have a control panel (on the service providers website) to upload and manage your logo.

You'll have a https:// based URL that can be provided in your PayPal set-up.

Returns policy, you could view a few other websites - they'll need to be a bit similar to you. Also be aware that B2B transactions are not covered by the Distance Selling Regulations - so something to also consider (so may be a point you need to make), Some stores don't; bother with a returns policy- some state "we'll sort it", and will pay for the shipping of any return and provide a refund if requested. Depending on your business, this may not be possible, and you may decide to limit yourselves to the minimum required by UK law.

If your terms are unfair, and you ever get an agrieved customer, then they can complain to trading standards.

Don't worry about asking for help. You web guy has done a fine job so far. If you ever did need support/coding outside of what he can provide, then there are commercial contributors at cubecartforums.org who will be able to help.

However, there isn't much wrong with your site - good stuff!

One last thing to add - ensure you have full account back-ups. Your web guy will be doing these as he makes changes, but as he has less to do, then I would suggest you learn how to back-up the website (and the database!)

Jason

• 1 year later...
Guest Ryanloop

Hello, very nice your site, a couple of tips ...

1 - The background is very dark, not really inspire much confidence to a retail site ...

2 - For my taste, the site you'd see a little better if you were wider (so it would be easier right now to accommodate the images look a little "Racked")

Regards