Zend Optimizer 3.3.3 very slow to respond

Guest chris2

I have a test environment setup with a source build of PHP 5.2.17, but had lots of performance issues when loading a new page. I narrowed it down to the Optimizer by putting debugging either side of loading the encrypted file and finding that there was always a 20 second delay.

Now I have tried this with both IonCube and Zend Optimizer 3.3.3., however both display this sluggishness and topics relating to this have mentioned a possible slowness when the encrypted file looks up certificate details online, but it also says this shouldn't happen very often.

I will be getting a paid for license with in the next week or so and am keen to understand what the encrypted files are doing that might cause this issue before putting our webshop live, any advice on what to try?

Thanks

I have a test environment setup with a source build of PHP 5.2.17, but had lots of performance issues when loading a new page. I narrowed it down to the Optimizer by putting debugging either side of loading the encrypted file and finding that there was always a 20 second delay.

Now I have tried this with both IonCube and Zend Optimizer 3.3.3., however both display this sluggishness and topics relating to this have mentioned a possible slowness when the encrypted file looks up certificate details online, but it also says this shouldn't happen very often.

I will be getting a paid for license with in the next week or so and am keen to understand what the encrypted files are doing that might cause this issue before putting our webshop live, any advice on what to try?

Thanks

Because those files are encrypted, very few people on here will have seen the source code. My understanding is that they dont actually do a lot except check whether the licence is valid both via the local key file and also when required to the licencing server, this will take a short while but shouldnt be anywhere near 20 seconds and I have never come across a site taking that long. You say you have a source build of php so is this your own server and is it Windows or Linux - my guess would be a problem with the build.

Ian

Thanks

Because those files are encrypted, very few people on here will have seen the source code. My understanding is that they dont actually do a lot except check whether the licence is valid both via the local key file and also when required to the licencing server, this will take a short while but shouldnt be anywhere near 20 seconds and I have never come across a site taking that long. You say you have a source build of php so is this your own server and is it Windows or Linux - my guess would be a problem with the build.

Ian

Thanks Ian. It is my own Ubuntu box, it is on a local network that doesn't have a great outbound connection speed, but it could also be DNS related, but as you say it shouldn't be doing very much. Well I also have an Ubuntu box with the native PHP 5.2.10 with Zend Optimizer 3.3.9 and that too seems slow with about a 5 second delay before and after the encryption call.

Its typical really because our live servers are this PHP 5.2.17 version but our next jump will be to PHP 5.3. so I'm on a bit of an Optimizer loosing battle which ever way I go at the moment, knowing that 5.3 has compatibility issues with Zend.

Chris

Thanks

Ian

Thanks Ian. It is my own Ubuntu box, it is on a local network that doesn't have a great outbound connection speed, but it could also be DNS related, but as you say it shouldn't be doing very much. Well I also have an Ubuntu box with the native PHP 5.2.10 with Zend Optimizer 3.3.9 and that too seems slow with about a 5 second delay before and after the encryption call.

Its typical really because our live servers are this PHP 5.2.17 version but our next jump will be to PHP 5.3. so I'm on a bit of an Optimizer loosing battle which ever way I go at the moment, knowing that 5.3 has compatibility issues with Zend.

Chris

I prefer CENTOS myself but there is no reason why Ubunto shouldnt work. I also prefer ionCube and that combination is what I use on all my servers. If you are getting the same problem on multiple servers then it is likely to be your outbound connection speed - which doesnt bode well if you are planning to run your CubeCart site from those servers anyway ! CubeCart is reasonably heavy on bandwidth usage so trying to run anything other than a test site on a server on a local network with a slow internet connection just isnt going to work well

Ian

Ok, thanks Ian. Only test machines are running slow, didn't see much difference in performance from IonCube to Zend Optimizer from what I have been running, but live server does run a lot faster so maybe that is something I have to live with only on testing.

Cheers,

Chris

This probably won't help at all, but...

I run Windows 2003 with a VMWare installed base of (sub)servers (which I don't run at the moment). A number of months ago, I migrated from a 192.168.-based LAN to a 10.-based LAN. I had switched over everything (I thought) but was disappointed with a delay in web server delivery - at about 15 seconds.

It seems the VMware Network adapters (Virtual Network Editor, Host Virtual Network Mapping), when I disabled them, then the delay disappeared.