Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ploughguy

Clear Cache function not working

Recommended Posts

Problem: On my production system, which is hosted, the Clear Cache function does not work. No errors are reported - but old texts still display.

Desired response: Fix this by doing <actions unknown here>

Versions Cubecart is 4.3.4 with some subsequent updates grafted in.

Background

I have a moderately customized CubeCart production installation running on a hosted server. My development system runs on Ubuntu "Randy Raccoon" or something similar.

I have just written a GST report which I have linked into the Admin navigation tree under Statistics. In the development system, the link opens a new admin page similar to the Statistics/View Stats report page with a list of (two) report options. Clicking a report name runs it and it does its job nicely.

The menu texts, links and report headers are custom texts. I have a language vector called custom.inc.php which I have put all my custom texts into so upgrades are a smidgeon simpler. It is loaded by getLang like any other language vector.

After half a pleasant sunny day spend hacking code about, I copied the custom text include, the report includes and the updated navigation.inc.php file to the hosted production system, ran the Clear Cache function to refresh the texts, and refreshed my display and bingo - no change.

Examining the page source shows that the links are there but they have empty texts. If I enter the report link into the url bar in Firefox, I get a page with no report links - once again, they are actually there, but the texts are empty. In Admin/Languages, I can open the custom text vector and see that the texts exist.

The problem would seem to be that the cache clearing operation does not work. The hosted environment is presumably running different versions of everything, so it is not a real surprise.

Has anyone else encountered and even solved this problem before?

Thanks for your help. And nice wedding by the way. Well done. Pompful and ceremonious yet somehow restrained as suits times of fiscal rectitude, and as tasteful as a wedding can ever be (some hats excluded, of course - Beatrice, I'm looking at _you_...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem partly solved - I believe the cause is that I have adjusted a text in this file using admin/Modules/Languages. This creates an adjustment record in the database which means the file is not in the loop.

Fix is to take a note of the adjusted texts (that caused the file to be added to the DB) then delete the row from CubeCart_lang.

I can't complete this, unfortunately, because cPanel (which is my interface to the hosting service) won't let me do database maintenance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Roger Huston

Problem partly solved - I believe the cause is that I have adjusted a text in this file using admin/Modules/Languages. This creates an adjustment record in the database which means the file is not in the loop.

Fix is to take a note of the adjusted texts (that caused the file to be added to the DB) then delete the row from CubeCart_lang.

I can't complete this, unfortunately, because cPanel (which is my interface to the hosting service) won't let me do database maintenance.

Hello,

I really hate the way CC does that. Personally, I do not use the interface at all. I just download the language files, edit what I need to and then upload. This approach has a couple of advantages.

1. It makes merging updates from CubeCart updates much easier as you can compare language files directly using a merge program. (The files have the changes)

2. Clearing the built-in cache actually works again and the new lang files are loaded.

Lastly, your hosting company should give you phpmyadmin access to your database. CPANEL has this built-in by default. I know, I use it on more than a dozen websites. Talk to your hosting company and have them turn it on for you or move Hosting Companies. Really, phpMyAdmin is a basic right, if they don't give it to you, then move on. Another alternative is to use CPANEL's Manage Remote Databases option. You can input your IP (pain in the ass if it is dynamic) and you can attach to the mysql database from externally. You can even use MS Access (with a plug-in) to link to it directly.

- Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...