How to get v4 Database into test v5 install?

OK, I'll admit first off I don't know what I'm doing. I was able to install v5 trial in a test site and set up the default database for it. I had expected to be able to export my v4 database and import it into the v5 one. But field names are different in the new version, so I'm getting errors and import fails. I've even tried doing an export/import just on the Categories, to see if I understood it better, but even then there's a difference in field names - old says father and new says parent (#1054 - Unknown column 'cat_father_id' in 'field list' ).

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Guest hennaboy

Copy your database and then do an upgrade.

Easiest way...login to phpmyadmin. Click on your current store database. Chose operations and then copy your database to a new database name.

You will need to go to your hosting control panel or use phpmyadmin to assign a database user/password.

Copy all your files for your v4 to a test directory change the global.inc.php to use the new database details and then proceed with the upgrade following the instructions provided.

Copy your database and then do an upgrade.

Easiest way...login to phpmyadmin. Click on your current store database. Chose operations and then copy your database to a new database name.

You will need to go to your hosting control panel or use phpmyadmin to assign a database user/password.

Copy all your files for your v4 to a test directory change the global.inc.php to use the new database details and then proceed with the upgrade following the instructions provided.

Thanks, Hennaboy.

I followed your directions, but I must be doing something wrong in setting up the MySQL part of it, as I was denied access. But I did learn a lot about how it's all done that I've never understood before. I'm content to work with a fresh copy of v5 as a test. When the time comes to actually make the change, I will use a programmer who will be able to do it easily I hope. I look forward to the first v5 update.

Guest hennaboy

Denied access is usually a user problem. As I mentioned after copying the database structure and data you also need to create a new user/password and give them the rights to use the database. You should be able to set this in your web hosting control panel.