Upgrade to 5.01

Guest hennaboy

This would be the case with any upgrade release as the default templates will come without your modifications.

For upgrades I generally take a full copy upload all the upgrade files and then replace the skin.

If you are modifying files other than the skin then you should compare the files using something like winmerge or araxis to compare the code and merge your modifications.

This would be the case with any upgrade release as the default templates will come without your modifications.

For upgrades I generally take a full copy upload all the upgrade files and then replace the skin.

If you are modifying files other than the skin then you should compare the files using something like winmerge or araxis to compare the code and merge your modifications.

Yes, templates along with standard CubeCart files would be overwritten but it would be good to have a file difference report supplied and also a summary list of all bugs fixed in this release

Any chance Al ?

Thanks

Ian

Guest mrdave

Hi

I have to agree totally on this, installed v5 and have spent some considerable time trying to figure it out, very different for me and i'm right back to square one on the knowledge front.

Our v5 test site, is not ready to go live just yet, so for an upgrade to come out with no details behind it, does not reassure me that it wont mess up the previous release when i upload it. Ive backed up and am uploading.

Whilst it does it, not that i doubt that it wont cure all known ailments, I was also here looking for a way to downgrade our sample v5 database (or maybe a half arsed upgraded v5.1 version) to a v4 one, who knows what will happen to what when i upgrade, but there is some serious hacking to be done still and documentation helps us all learn whats going on, what might happen if, really not much documentation anywhere.. I dont know..

I came to the forum to look for a change log as i would see, before with v 4, it is this that drives development from the community.

if anyone can point me in the right direction of downgrades, defects & documenation let me know too, im starting to feel like we may go back to using v4 as a base, or to revert to Magento as the base of a new site, which is a bit dissapointing. Documenation needs to be forthcoming, unless the license terms have changed? Maybe i need to get my glasses on and get reading..

I think the new version has made some great improvements will certainly stick with it, if i can be confident that i understand it to maintain a live system that is, at the moment im not.

Im sure you have it in hand tho, i have not been dissapointed before..

cheers

mrdave

Guest mrdave

so, i upgraded no problem, even succesfully reapplied the template we had been working on, may stick with it! ...would love to know what has changed, remember the file comparison html page you used to do?..

I've created a difference file between 5.0.0 and 5.0.1.

I had hoped to add some comments to associate a bug report to each difference, but oh well.

I just need to know where to put it. I think I'll create a Free Mod at www.cubecartforums.org.

I've created a difference file between 5.0.0 and 5.0.1.

I had hoped to add some comments to associate a bug report to each difference, but oh well.

I just need to know where to put it. I think I'll create a Free Mod at www.cubecartforums.org.

Creating a file difference report is useful (88 files have changed according to the file difference report I generated myself) although not especially difficult to do with the tools that are available. Trying to add notes to the report to associate a bug report to each difference would be a massive job and probably one that only Devellion could realistically do although this would be extremely useful !! If this isnt possible then what is really needed is some release notes that show what bugs had been fixed in each release along with the file difference report that used to be given for V4 upgrades.

Ian

Guest vivaigiochi

I NEVER HAVE SEEN THIS!

CHANGE TO 5.0.1 WITHOUT DOC AND ANY CHANGELOG.

THIS WAS BECAUSE THE 5.0.0 WAS MERDA AND 5.0.1 IT'S ALWAYS MERDA.

DON'T UPGRADE IF YOU HAVE AT THIS TIME 4.5... BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY UNUSEFUL.

Guest hennaboy

Like stated in the release post there is nothing new just bug fixes and those was probably just minor adjustments in the code.

Create your own changelog for this if you really need one im sure for future releases a changelog will be available.

@Atechstl - This hasn't happened with any of the upgrades I have done. I will overwrite skin files with default code but it shouldn't switch to the generic template.

@vivaigiochi - hennaboy is right... there is nothing new in this version hence no change log. It is a maintenance release with bug fixes that is all.

@Atechstl - This hasn't happened with any of the upgrades I have done. I will overwrite skin files with default code but it shouldn't switch to the generic template.

It wrote over my template. I added a custom header with CSS, changed the header size, added site docs to the top, removed the language and currency, floated the Login to the right on the Kurunto template. I had to restore my template. I had a backup of course but it makes me wonder if there are template errors. That's why a change log would have been very helpful. Perhaps this update changed coding in the template files. Me restoring my template may have undid part of the update.

@vivaigiochi - hennaboy is right... there is nothing new in this version hence no change log. It is a maintenance release with bug fixes that is all.

Hi Al

Even for a maintenance release it would be extremely useful to have the detailed file difference report as this is needed when doing a manual upgrade on any modified files caused by the installation of mods

I know this isnt something you have released before, but to also have a list of the bugs fixed in each release (with perhaps the bug report number and a brief description of the issue or a link to the report in the bug tracker) would be extremely useful

Thanks

Ian

A change log will have made no difference. If you upload default code over modifued code it will revert it back.

I'd recommend renaming your skin folder and edit the config file in it too to match the changes. Then in the future when you upgrade changes won't get written over.

@Ian I totally agree with you. There is actualy a change log in our bug reporting tool....

http://bugs.cubecart.com/changelog_page.php

@Ian I totally agree with you. There is actualy a change log in our bug reporting tool....

http://bugs.cubecart.com/changelog_page.php

Perfect ! I have been using the CubeCart bug system for many years and never seen that before ! Maybe an idea to put that link in the forum post when you announce a new release.

Having the link to the full file difference report as you have done previously in all version 4 upgrades would also be great

Thanks

Ian

I'm actually a little disappointed to see that upgrades still need to be applied in this way. Word Press can be updated via a simple button press in the admin panel, and this makes life so much easier. Is there any chance we will see Cubecart move to a similar system?

Guest hennaboy

If they moved to a system like that I would switch cart software.

Upgrade systems like wp whilst easy to use do not take into account any modifications. So its only easy if you do not modify anything and I would bet that most cc5 installations are going to be modified.