Extra charge showing up during Paypal checkout

I'm having a boat load of problems with v5 but the one that hurts sales (besides only a handful of 1000 pictures showing up) is that when a customer checks out with Paypal it looks good in the shipping cart but when they went to pay there was somehow a 4.80 extra charge. I have no idea where the charge is coming from. Help please!

Jamie

Guest hennaboy

Tax, handling fee could be a number of things but it must be something set, that you have set, as the code is not AI and make up its own charges!

Thank you but I run several sites and all use the same paypal account. I don't have problems with any of them except the v5 install. I've been all through paypal. No settings have changed and I do not have sales tax set through them, nor would an 11.00 order come to 4.80 in taxes anyway. I'll reinstall payment gateways and see if that fixes it I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Shipping charges? Must be somewhere as CC5 wouldnt generate a random charge. Regardless of the gateway.

Still having the problem and it isn't on Paypal's end. Here is the example of what is happening.

Customer orders item for 8.50

Shipping is 2.75

total is showing correct at 11.25

Order goes to Paypal and somewhere before it gets to them, instead of showing as order, shipping and total it shows a total of 11.25 then shipping says 4.00 or in the case of my last order for 2 items it showed shipping as 9.00. I've talked to paypal. It is not on their end. In 9 years I've not changed a single paypal setting and never had a problem. I've gone through all my paypal settings. The issue is on Cubecart coding end.

Honestly the upgrade has been a nightmare and if I didn't want the group option to sell wholesale and retail through one shopping card I would have given up. My list of problems is long. Interestingly when I put in a help ticket and they fix one problem it tends to fix several at a time. I've just been going down the list from important issues to fix to annoying issues to fix. For example I'd installed the new htacess file yet still couldn't get the SEO URLs to work right. When the tech fixed that it also fixed the fact I couldn't print correct receipts for my customers. I started with 5.0.2 upgraded over the latest v4. I've since upgraded to the 5.0.3 and still having a lot of issues. Paypal being the most important to fix right now.

Jamie

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I use the Firefox plugin Tamper Data. If you don't already use this, it will capture all data being POSTed so you can confirm the amount actually being submitted to the Paypal gateway. This might help you track down where the amount is being altered.

If you have any questions about the plugin let me know!

Well I can't find a static dollar amount or percentage but then I admit that I am having a rough time with the coding. If it were all in HTML I'd be set. When it comes to this new stuff I whine to my personal tech who has to fix what he can if he wants dinner. I am very lucky to have a good one for a boyfriend. He only dabbles in programming though so some of this is still outside his range of expertise and working full time doesn't leave him a lot of time to research and figure things out.

I'll try the firefox plug in.

I did just get an email from an international customer which may help explain what is going wrong. It IS the v5 software.

I am having trouble placing an order. The first time was a little while ago (Order # 110810-114714-7971). Once I got to the PayPal section, nothing happened and there were no links to do anything and the order was cancelled because no payment was made.

Tonight I tried again. This order includes the previous items and some extras. When I click on checkout or payment nothing happens and I am unable to complete the process. I have also noticed that the addresses on the order (Basket) page are incorrect but I have been unable to fix them – the address in the address book is, however, correct.

The address issue has been ongoing from day one, it is on my list to put in a help ticket for but I thought it was a lower priority than it seems to be. It is causing business addresses to want to all be from County Armagh, Afghanistan or East Guiana or some crud like that.

I'll keep trying and perhaps disable Paypal for now. The address still gets messed up for Credit cards but I can figure that out easy enough by looking at the billing address not the order overview.

Thank you for the ideas!

Jamie

Well I can't find a static dollar amount or percentage but then I admit that I am having a rough time with the coding. If it were all in HTML I'd be set. When it comes to this new stuff I whine to my personal tech who has to fix what he can if he wants dinner. I am very lucky to have a good one for a boyfriend. He only dabbles in programming though so some of this is still outside his range of expertise and working full time doesn't leave him a lot of time to research and figure things out.

I'll try the firefox plug in.

I did just get an email from an international customer which may help explain what is going wrong. It IS the v5 software.

I am having trouble placing an order. The first time was a little while ago (Order # 110810-114714-7971). Once I got to the PayPal section, nothing happened and there were no links to do anything and the order was cancelled because no payment was made.

Tonight I tried again. This order includes the previous items and some extras. When I click on checkout or payment nothing happens and I am unable to complete the process. I have also noticed that the addresses on the order (Basket) page are incorrect but I have been unable to fix them – the address in the address book is, however, correct.

The address issue has been ongoing from day one, it is on my list to put in a help ticket for but I thought it was a lower priority than it seems to be. It is causing business addresses to want to all be from County Armagh, Afghanistan or East Guiana or some crud like that.

I'll keep trying and perhaps disable Paypal for now. The address still gets messed up for Credit cards but I can figure that out easy enough by looking at the billing address not the order overview.

Thank you for the ideas!

Jamie

PLEASE SEND A BUG REPORT ABOUT THE ADDRESS PROBLEM! We've reported this, and Al has been working on it.

I think there's one more bug report dealing with it. This is obviously more prevalent than the number of bug reports would show. The actual problem is some kind of confusion over whether v5 is using numcode or the id from the addressbook table. 840 is in the numcode column for USA on geo_country, but 226 is in the id column. When I register with an AL, USA address it shows in addressbook in the country column as 840 – Sales Tax does not work.

If I manually change numcode to 226 – Sales Tax works.

So if your customer's address is mysteriously changing to another country it's because their data in the table is actually the id, but v5 is interpreting that number as the numcode.

The answer I got on the address part from Al is

If you login to your web hosting account and locate the phpMyAdmin database tool you can run the follwing query to fix the addressbook inconsistency.

UPDATE `CubeCart_addressbook` AS `A`, `CubeCart_geo_country` AS `C` SET `A`.`country` = `C`.`numcode` WHERE `A`.`country` = `C`.`id`;

We are going to try it tonight and see if that fixes the paypal problem as well. I'll let you know!

Jamie

The answer I got on the address part from Al is

If you login to your web hosting account and locate the phpMyAdmin database tool you can run the follwing query to fix the addressbook inconsistency.

UPDATE `CubeCart_addressbook` AS `A`, `CubeCart_geo_country` AS `C` SET `A`.`country` = `C`.`numcode` WHERE `A`.`country` = `C`.`id`;

We are going to try it tonight and see if that fixes the paypal problem as well. I'll let you know!

Jamie

It worked on one of our test sites, but didn't solve the problem on the other one. Good luck!

It has fixed the address issue but it didn't fix the Paypal issue which Al is working on. I've deactivated Paypal for now. I'd rather deal with customers who are upset paypal isn't an option than customers who are furious over an extra charge suddenly showing up. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Jamie

Sorry you're still having this problem. I did fix the other site's Sales Tax issue by changing the country_id in Tax Details table from 226 to 840.