What a nightmare...

Guest ifixipodsfast

Guest ifixipodsfast

I just purchased version 5 thinking it would be an upgrade and going from version 3 to version 4 was relatively painless. I figured by now the makers of cubecart would have made version 5 much more than what it is (basics like being able to send out an email with tracking information when entered or have it entered in correctly with the order complete email aren't there.)

I have over 10,000 orders... 7,000 customers... and EVERY customer's address is now screwed up (all of them show Afghanistan instead of United States.) Orders aren't being placed because customer's can't place them due to issues with addresses and PayPal.

For $50 I feel like I got robbed. I used to think cubecart was great software but this update is really made me think so much less.

It'd take me a day or more to list all of the issues I'm going to have to go in and try to fix... things that didn't transfer over correctly, things that are now broken. How am I supposed to make any money?

Maybe cubecart is great when starting from scratch, but I really don't feel like I should have to start from scratch and import all of the data back in, but if that's what I have to do I guess it's what I have to do. Again a total joke.

Guest hennaboy

Strange as I upgraded from v4 to v5 and didnt have any such issue.

I do see this quite a lot though. The fact that apparently you value your business so highly but upgraded a live store. Surely you should have upgraded a copy of your site to ensure that no problem was going to occur.

I do not know of ANY professional online business that upgrades their actual live store without proper testing of any additions or upgrades.

My advice would be to revert back, assuming you took a backup, then have a look at the upgrade again.

Guest ifixipodsfast

Of course I'm not an idiot... I reverted back thanks to my database backup and cubecart directory backup.

In a perfect world testing beforehand would work out great, however cubecart won't allow you to use a license temporarily for more than one site, so while I'm "testing" I have to use the trial software key.

Essentially there are a lot of things that I was expecting out of this version however they just aren't there. This version to me simply made very few additions, updated the admin layout, gave a few more available layouts (well only 3 but multiple color choices) and very few actual feature additions.

How is it by now we do not have built in:

Testimonials

Tracking functionality (put in the number or link and it sends out an email to the customer saying "hey, your package just shipped, click on the following link to view the progress of your package"

Ability to have more site documents but allow them to be hidden or shown at the click of a button.

There's plenty of other examples and while I understand cubecart doesn't want to hurt the 3rd party community who makes money off of these simple code updates, it just adds more money onto the cost of cubecart. $50 to upgrade, then another few hundred for a decent layout and mods.

I'm going to try to upgrade my database once again on a mirror database but from the looks of it I'll have to manually import data back into version 5 just to get it running correctly.

I'm just disappointed, I thought we were heading forward but it's clear cc5 was mainly behind the scenes updates and layout updates... very few features were actually included.

I had a painful like as you have ifixipodsfast , after I upgrade CC4 to CC5, the language have been convert to utf8_unicode_ci, this make my current store language messed. I have to edit each items again. I spend two week already for this problem.

CC5 is still have a lot of bugs and get more problem when the store is going live.

From upgrade 5.0.2 to 5.0.3, I really don't know what fix inside the files catalogue.class.php and cart.class.php, but it make my store have error in database

I have to used to old one 5.0.2, then the problem was gone.

I feel the CC staffs need pay more attention when they fix the files.

Guest hennaboy

Cubecart does allow a temp licence of 30 days which can be used on the same domain.

Testimonials = Product reviews. Available.

Orders have the option to provide to the customer shipping method, tracking number and courier used.

Site documents can be activated or disabled by the clicking the status.

So the three areas you say are not included are included. What else was you expecting as looking at CC4 and compare to CC5 there is a lot more included.

Having tried the major competitors whilst there is still a few quirks to iron out cubecart is still more solid than community free versions supplied by its rivals.

Not sure about anyone here but I would never use a default supplied template for my store anyway. Surely you wish to look different and have the look connected to your product and business.

I dont believe you have actually looked properly at the feature and setup of CC5. The code for start is very different and a much higher standard of coding than any previous CC version.

Guest WeaponX

We have a v4 site also waiting to upgrade to v5. The main issue mentioned here is why we are waiting also. It seems the _addressbook table gets populated with a country code of 840, for US it should be 226. On our test site we switch that manually in the database and our tax issues are solved.

I have opened a ticket on this matter, but it seems to be what ifixipodsfast is talking about.

Our first venture from the v4 to v5 wasn't pretty either. So for now we are waiting and helping the CC staff iron out the few bugs that are popping up during testing.

And we have two different test sites for our two live sites, both on the same domain. So the testing license doesn't matter if it is on the same domain or not.

Guest ifixipodsfast

I'll go through and point out why your statement is no good Hennaboy:

Testimonials = Product reviews. Available. That's on a per product basis. What if you want customers to review your store? Almost every commerce site out there has reviews for products and reviews for the store/store's customer service/store's awesomeness.

Orders have the option to provide to the customer shipping method, tracking number and courier used. Wrong... you can enter in a number, courier, and the ship date, all of which have to be manually entered. You should be able to choose the shipping company from a drop down list, put in your tracking number, and it should parse a link for tracking. Also, when you enter in tracking information, it'd be great if a separate email went out saying "your order shipped" and give the tracking information. This version of cubecart doesn't even tell the customer in the order history section any details about shipping. It should definitely list shipping information that's entered on the admin side as customers want to know tracking information.

Site documents can be activated or disabled by the clicking the status. You can have them active but not show them on the menu? Didn't think so.

So the three areas you say are not included are included. What else was you expecting as looking at CC4 and compare to CC5 there is a lot more included. What's really changed? They made it more confusing, didn't really add any features, and it doesn't update correctly? I've got over 10,000 orders and a vast customer database and if it doesn't update correctly to the new version, I'm not going to start from scratch.

Having tried the major competitors whilst there is still a few quirks to iron out cubecart is still more solid than community free versions supplied by its rivals. Cubecart isn't free... of course it should be better than free carts.

Not sure about anyone here but I would never use a default supplied template for my store anyway. Surely you wish to look different and have the look connected to your product and business. My theme isn't available for CC5 yet. I just sunk money into software that isn't stable yet and now you want me to spend more on a new skin? I prefer not to change the skin of my website every month and confuse my patrons.

I dont believe you have actually looked properly at the feature and setup of CC5. The code for start is very different and a much higher standard of coding than any previous CC version. Unfortunately that's irrelevant if the code doesn't work right out of the box.

The other thing I forgot to mention that's a huge pain about version 5 is that when products are listed that have product options, you can still add a product to the shopping cart without having even went into the product description. In the old versions (both 3 and 4) if you had product options for a product, you couldn't add the product to your basket until you viewed the product itself (so you could see there were options.) CC5 just allows a product to be added to the basket from the homepage or product category without you even knowing there were options you were supposed to pick.

Anyway, rant over. I appreciate everyone else's feedback and it's good to know I"m not the only person who has had issues!

I think that there is some legitimate criticism here. Perhaps I can try to explain the rationale behind some of the "missing features".

If you remember back to the beta microsite, Devellion's plan was to release V5.1 not long after the initial release of V5. V5 was to provide a fast, flexible and robust base for all the new features that would be introduced with V5.1. Naturally, V5.1 has not been released yet and I couldn't possibly tell you when it will be released (because I'm not a Devellion staff member). If I remember correctly, the developers were talking of a time-frame spanning a couple of months or so after the initial release.

Regarding testimonials... CubeCart does include some social commenting plugins (Disqus and Facebook are currently supported). These can be enabled for site documents. One solution would therefore be to create a site document, name it "Testimonials" and then enable one of the social commenting plugins. It is important to note that enabling a social commenting plugin will result in a commenting section being displayed on every site document. You will probably want some simple logic to restrict it to only the Testimonials site document. This can be done by replacing:

{foreach from=$COMMENTS item=html}

{$html}

{/foreach}

with:

{if $DOCUMENT.doc_id == 1}

{foreach from=$COMMENTS item=html}

{$html}

{/foreach}

{/if}

in your content.document.php template file. You will need to change the number in {if $DOCUMENT.doc_id == 1} to the ID of your Testimonials document. It might not be as elegant as a dedicated testimonials feature, but it should serve much the same purpose.

Regarding product option validation... I have found that V5 does redirect to the product where product options have not been selected. You can try it here: http://www.shopdev.c...emos/blueprint/

Make sure that your product options are "required" (if you go to Product Options in the administration panel, there should be a tick in the "required" row for each mandatory product option). If it is still not redirecting, there may be an issue with the AJAX Add to Cart JavaScript used by the stock skins.