Upgrade Quqestions

Guest AndEverythingNice

Guest AndEverythingNice

I would like to upgrade my site from my current version 3 to 5 but I have several questions to make sure I understand what I am getting into before I start. I am trying to figure how much time to allow my site to be closed (if necessary) to get everything transferred over.

Will products transfer over to version 5 automatically? If so, should I expect to go into each individual product and make changes/updates to the products?

I have a text input mod on my site, I see that version 5 has that included. Will it transfer over when 5 is installed will I need to update each product?

I have a SEO mod installed on my site and have worked very hard to get to the top of google searches. Will I lose my url's/standings with google?

Will I need to create a new skin created for my site?

Can I work on installing version 5 while version 3 (my current site) is still up and running? Or will my current site be un-useable while I am upgrading?

Thank you for your help!

Version 5 is completely different to v3. Any mods or skin design will not be usable on v5. You would need to redevelop your skin to how you wanted it, and product options would need to be re-created for each product.

With the upgrade process, anything standard in the v3 installation will upgrade to v5... products, categories, site docs etc.

You can run a development installation separate from your main store without any problems.

Guest gennad

If you set up the custom seo urls to be the same as they were before - why would it effect your page rank???

the seo url algorithm has changed resulting in changed urls for your products. I requested help in this forum and posted as a bug in the tracker but haven't managed to replicate the pattern from 4.x

If you set up the custom seo urls to be the same as they were before - why would it effect your page rank???

the seo url algorithm has changed resulting in changed urls for your products. I requested help in this forum and posted as a bug in the tracker but haven't managed to replicate the pattern from 4.x

Ah, I see what you mean. The v4 urls have a product, cat, etc. number appended, and the v5 do not. I really prefer the v5 urls, but you're right - it will effect page rank. We depend on Google Merchant feeds to drive customers to us, so I'm not going to stress about this. I'm sorry it's a problem for you, though.

I rely a lot on Google Merchant feeds as well and switching to v5 still really hurt retail sales. Repeat customers are still going strong but new customers have dropped in big numbers and slow coming back up even with new Merchant feeds, new sitemaps etc. I remember going through it when I upgraded from 3 to 4 but of course I didn't remember it until after I upgraded to 5 or I would have waited until my slow time of year. It is good someone brought it up so that others can factor it into their decision on when to upgrade.

Jamie

I haven't made the switch on our Plush Animal Shoppe. This is not the best time of year for us to make the change, either. I'm glad you brought it up!

There's a Bug Report request for a new Feature about keeping the v4 .htaccess settings to help with redirects. Would something like this work???

0002987: Add the old rewrite rules from CubeCart 4 in the .htaccess file.

Description 	The benefits from adding the old rewrite rules would be that links to a newly upgraded cc4 -> cc5 will still work.

Additional Information 	RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)$

RewriteRule cat_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?(.*)$ index.php?_a=category&cat_id=$1 [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)$

RewriteRule prod_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?$ index.php?_a=product&product_id=$1 [NC,L]

RewriteRule info_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?$ index.php?_a=document&doc_id=$1 [NC,L]

RewriteRule tell_([0-9]+)(\.[a-z]{3,4})?$ index.php?_a=tellafriend&productId=$1 [NC,L]

RewriteRule _saleItems(\.[a-z]+)?(\?.*)?$ index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=saleItems [NC,L] 

Guest gennad

I haven't made the switch on our Plush Animal Shoppe. This is not the best time of year for us to make the change, either. I'm glad you brought it up!

There's a Bug Report request for a new Feature about keeping the v4 .htaccess settings to help with redirects. Would something like this work???

The new pattern is much nicer. What would be ideal would be something to redirect from the v4 to the new v5 style, that way all the old links would still work. Right now they drop through to the shop front page.

The new pattern is much nicer. What would be ideal would be something to redirect from the v4 to the new v5 style, that way all the old links would still work. Right now they drop through to the shop front page.

I tried one of the v4 urls with the test site inserted, and it 404's for me. I don't even get the home page. I'd love to add a Redirect to my .htaccess to redirect from the old style to the clean v5 url style. Can someone write one and share it??? If this can't be done I'll have to seriously reconsider upgrading at this time.

I've added a Feature Request #003001 on the Bug Reports to ask for a set of rewrite rules to add to the .htaccess. Please add a note to it so it will be more likely to get faster response.