Editing core files

Guest kieranbarnes

Guest kieranbarnes

I've been working on a few CC5 stores recently that have required me to edit the core files, like catalog.class.php and gui.class.php

I'm considering creating some new files and extending the classes to make the changes reasonably upgrade proof.

Just wondering what other developers do when they modify the new CC5 files classes to make them future proof.

I've been working on a few CC5 stores recently that have required me to edit the core files, like catalog.class.php and gui.class.php

I'm considering creating some new files and extending the classes to make the changes reasonably upgrade proof.

Just wondering what other developers do when they modify the new CC5 files classes to make them future proof.

CC v5 is built with extensibility in mind. There is no need whatsoever to modify core files. All mods, er the new term is Plugins, are written outside of core files and are upgrade proof. These plugins use a CC v5 feature called hooks. Learn them, love them, live them. They rock!

Thanks

/Goober