Comment Spam management

Guest gennad

I have started getting lots of spam comments through product reviews. It is really annoying, not because I am getting spam but because I am used to the comment management in Wordpress via akismet etc.

Are there any plans to add any spam filtering to this area. Even something to auto delete if the ip address/website url given match a previously flagged spam message would help a lot.

It appears to be labelled differently in v5.

Store Settings menu option.... Features tab, Spam Prevention section. Ensure 'Enable reCAPTCHA' has a tick next to it.

but doesn't that also force captchas to be filled out for customers to buy items?

"Spam Prevention

Enable reCAPTCHA: Enable the spam prevention reCATPCHA boxes on the registration, review submission and tell-a-friend pages. "

Yes of course. All entry forms are vulnerable.

I wasn't requesting something to inconvenience spammers and legitimate purchasers. I was requesting the ability to manage the spam once it gets through, similar to what Akismet allows in Wordpress.

See http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/akismet/ for example.

In wordpress you see comments and they are seperated as All, Pending, Approved, Spam, Trash.

You can set it so anything which has a link is set to pending, comments from previously allowed commenters are allowed through and it has a pretty good success rate at catching spam with minimal false positives.

When you flag someone as spam future posts from their contact details/url/ip address are flagged as spam too.

Having said that, I really don't see a need for that feature if you have the Flood Control enabled. If you don't have it enabled, your server may get a battering by the spam bots and managing the submitted forms would be the least of your problems.

Having said that, I really don't see a need for that feature if you have the Flood Control enabled. If you don't have it enabled, your server may get a battering by the spam bots and managing the submitted forms would be the least of your problems.

Because unlike a blog where you don't really care if you put off commenters from completing forms, this is a shop so you don't want customers to not complete their basket.

If someone wants to make a 3rd party mod to do this then great. The reason it was initially posted in suggestions was because I was suggesting that this be added to the core product.

then why is there a forum called "Suggestions"

with the subtitle

"Ideas for future versions, comments and suggestions..."

if not to solicit ideas for future versions?