CC5 Search function too rigid

admin@batterydoctor.com.au

The search function is poor in my opinion because it is far too rigid.

1. Store front search function will not recognise product codes or reference numbers containing a hyphen "-" .

for instance:

search product code BCBO-2607335216 gets no result.

search 2607335216 will find the product.

2. NO partial word search! Even old versions of cubecart had partial word search which made the search tool far more powerful and flexible..and actually gave the customer some relevant results.

for instance: the following numbers all refererence to one 2607 series product 2607335055, 2607335071, 2607335081, 2607335244, 2607335250, 2607335151.

However trying to find any products with a 2607 prefix by searching "2607" will give no results. bad.

In my opinion, it is far better to get more results than required with a partial word search than to get no results at all. partial word search naturally self regulates the number of results as more accurate information is entered.

Is there any easy way of changing the way CC5 does this?

I, too, need for customers to be able to search for partial words. I did rename all my catalog numbers after I realized search couldn't handle the hyphen. I used this query to change my hyphen to an x:

UPDATE tablename SET tablefield = replace(tablefield,"findstring","replacestring");

Guest Stefan2011

Hi, I agree that not searching partial matches is a huge downfall for a search function!!!

Before the guys at Cubecart upgrade the search, I could suggest using Sphider In order to index your products for an extremely accurate search.

Best of all there is a free version!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone found a solution to this yet - a work around so that customers can do partial searches - customers are not finding some of my products because they do not type the full correct name ie searching for Mumma where the product is Mummabubba

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

Any updates on this?

We're encountering the same problems. We sell beads that are mostly searched by colournumber. And often by colournumber-ranges. Because it's not possible to do partial searches, customers think we don't carry that colour(s).

We've installed the suggestive search mod, but it only shows the results in the pull-down menu. When you hit enter or the magnifying glass, you don't get those search results displayed.

We've come from V2 to V5.2.17, so a big change and many things are better, but the search function is not :-(

Any advice?