Slow Loading Site

Guest jgislermn

Guest jgislermn

Hi,

We are running CC5 v5.0.5 and the front end runs/loads very slowly, to the point that we are getting complaints every day now. We do not have shared hosting, we have a dedicated server.

I do the 'maintenance' 2 times every day and that seems to help a little bit, but only for a few hours.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,

Jen

Hi,

We are running CC5 v5.0.5 and the front end runs/loads very slowly, to the point that we are getting complaints every day now. We do not have shared hosting, we have a dedicated server.

I do the 'maintenance' 2 times every day and that seems to help a little bit, but only for a few hours.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,

Jen

We're having a problem with the Product timestamps updating constantly, which is certainly slowing our site down. So check to see if yours are updating.

Guest beautyie

I don't think running in cached mode really helps, I've disabled it as my site was also running slow and when I looked the cache folder had over 500,000 files, somehow I don't think thats going to make it run quicker.

Guest ebatule

We have a dedicated server as well and are having the same problem. I have opened a ticket on this before and it doesn't seem like there's much they can do.

We have a dedicated server as well and are having the same problem. I have opened a ticket on this before and it doesn't seem like there's much they can do.

Can you supply us with a URL? There are various tools that we can use to help identify the cause of a slow site. It might not be down to the server. I quite frequently see JavaScript inclusions to third-party sites that can block page rendering. Nevertheless, you will want to ensure that caching is enabled - particularly for stores with many products, categories, orders or visitors.

Allow us to ask: you say you have a dedicated server, but is this a distinct virtual server, or a co-located server?

If virtual, then there is still the issue of getting the traffic out of the actual physical server box, communicating with a shared MySQL server box, etc.

If co-located, then you have your own actual, single, physical server with everything on it that is solely at your command. You can reboot it, reconfigure and restart the web server, and reconfigure and restart PHP and the MySQL server (without interfering with other accounts).

If it is at all possible:

* configure your MySQL server to log all queries, log errors, and log slow queries (greater than 1 second).

* install a packet capture program (gives time hacks on each packet)

* run a traceroute from your server to your ISP-assigned IP address

Well, these are all things I would do (and have done because I have my own server) to troubleshoot slow responses.

Guest ebatule

www.thehomefabricstore.com

Its not virtual. It's a dedicated server with host gator. I will try some of those. Host Gator says its do to the coding in CubeCart.

Its not virtual. It's a dedicated server with host gator. I will try some of those. Host Gator says its do to the coding in CubeCart.

We're on Hostgator, and our front page loads in about 6 seconds, much of which is waiting on Olark to load. We have 25 items in Latest, plus a Sales and a Featured item with photo. Our Admin side is terribly slow, however.

Your site does seem to wait quite a few seconds before transferring data, which would suggest a server issue rather than any client-side scripts. I did notice that you have some 810 pages of products, which I estimate to equate to around 14,000 products. However, assuming that you have caching enabled (and it is working as caching should), your homepage should (at the very least) be quick to load. I have never worked with a store having anything like 14,000 products, so I don't know how CubeCart should behave under these conditions. Nevertheless, I would imagine that even a low-spec dedicated server should be able to handle a database of this size (assuming well-designed SQL queries).

My guess is that the database is to blame. The last time I checked there were no indexed fields (other than primary keys). Foreign keys should nearly always be indexed. As an analogy, consider searching through a telephone directory. Since the telephone directory is indexed, you can quickly narrow in on the name you are looking for. If the directory was not indexed and all the names were ordered randomly, you would need to search one-by-one through the list - which is obviously much slower. Indexing appropriate fields could yield a healthy return.

To repeat bsmither, a server administrator (which I am not) should be able to sniff out the culprits. He/she may then return to you with a bunch of slow SQL queries, which you can present to Devellion.

The home page loads very fast. Check your site with pingdom.com, using one of your category links. That may show you at least some of the first bottlenecks. I TRIED clicking on Samples and pingdom reported 43sec, and it didn't load right. Also, have you tried turning on Debugging in Admin??