Words overlay

Guest sami5777

Guest sami5777

On the storefront side I have in the "categories" some words overlaid.

I use "German" as language. If you switch back to "English" everything looks fine.

In addition the "subscribe now" button is in "English" fine, but in "German" cut off like some other buttons as well (i.e. Einkaufswagen - Shoppingcart"

Where can I find the file which contains the German wording so that I can change it and make it more "German style"?

Please feel free to check "www.laborbedarfmalar.de" - I just started with that site, so there is not much to see yet ;-(

On the storefront side I have in the "categories" some words overlaid.

I use "German" as language. If you switch back to "English" everything looks fine.

In addition the "subscribe now" button is in "English" fine, but in "German" cut off like some other buttons as well (i.e. Einkaufswagen - Shoppingcart"

Where can I find the file which contains the German wording so that I can change it and make it more "German style"?

Please feel free to check "www.laborbedarfmalar.de" - I just started with that site, so there is not much to see yet ;-(

I would think that adjusting some of the width settings in yourskin/styles should stop the cut off problem. But I don't know enough to be able to tell you which one(s) to change.

In the file common.css, line 145, adjust to the following:

.sidebar > div > h3 {

height: 26px; <= remove

text-indent: 4px; <= remove

padding-left: 4px; <= add

This will allow "Nach Kategorie geordnet einkaufen" and other <h3> tags to fit in a container that can grow for as many lines of text as needed.

In the file layout.css, line 70, adjust to the following:

#mailing_list input.submit {

width: 137px; <= remove

However, the background image, button_subscribe.png is 137 pixels width and will repeat. You will need to load this image in an editor to make it wider. Or, you will need to slice it and make a left edge, middle thin slice, and a right edge, and then some fancy HTML to make it all seamless and expandable to accommodate whatever length of wording needs to fit. Or, as that green button just looks wrong on the blue karouto skin, leave out the image (layout.css line 67) and set the background color to a solid tint. Or keep the background transparent and set the text color to #2C6A5C instead of white.

Also, for the phrase "Zum Einkaufswagen hinzufügen", it is way too long for the button. I have no real suggestions here on how to fix that! Other than to suggest looking at the other skins other than Karouto. With Karouto, there are just too many fixed-width components that cannot accommodate long-winded languages.

The Languages tab on the Admin screen should help you change wording to sound more "German" as needed. Hopefully bsmither's instructions will solve your width problems. Good luck!

Guest sami5777

Where could I change the German translated wording?

Nobody in Germany would say "Nach Kategorien geordnet einkaufen".

I would like to keep it simple and just say "Kategorien" instead.

Also "Zum Einkaufswagen hinzufuegen" could be as simple as "Bestellen"

In addition, on the admin site, I would like to have the following product condition:

Instead of "new, used, refurbished" I need "Neu, Gebraucht, überholt"

And would love to add the condition "Messeware" - which means "expo item"

Where could I change/add that?

In addition, on the admin site, I would like to have the following product condition:

I changed my clean install v5.0.6 store to German and searched through all the language files for "Nach Kategorien geordnet einkaufen", but it wasn't in any of the default language files. Could that possibly be wording you've carried over from some past version of CC?

Guest sami5777

I changed my clean install v5.0.6 store to German and searched through all the language files for "Nach Kategorien geordnet einkaufen", but it wasn't in any of the default language files. Could that possibly be wording you've carried over from some past version of CC?

Ok, so I finally found it. It's in the de-DE.xml. Can't explain why I haven't seen it before.

Thanks for the great support.

BUT now 10min. later .... I changed everything I wanted to be changed and everything looks great. However, even though I changed "Nach Kategorie geordnet einkaufen" to "Kategorien" it won't change it on the storeside. :unsure:

I cleared the cache, I checked on two other machines....still there

AND another 20 mins later .....So, now that's kinda funny. I deleted the "English" as a possible language option and suddenly it worked - can someone explain that?

Anyhow, I'm happy now

"So, now that's kinda funny. I deleted the "English" as a possible language option and suddenly it worked - can someone explain that?"

For me, no. Not yet.

But there is a table, CubeCart_lang_strings, that I have not seen in CC3, but CC4 has some sort of language table. I think once a language gets instantiated (or maybe just modified once, or maybe just that phrase gets modified), it gets databased. Once databased, editing the XML files will not result in the changes you expect.