Product Roadmap? Where is CC going?

aris1234

Is there a rough roadmap for CubeCart so we have an idea of where we are going with the product?

I'm hoping to upgrade from v3 to v5. What is delaying me is an essential shipping mod to be ported from v3 to v5 - shipping by zone/postcode. It is taking ages for the developer to finish (i'm not even sure if he has started). There is another option - from Estelle - but she seems to have abandoned her mod business in favour for motherhood. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it does leave customers in a bit of a bind.

What is happening with CC right now then? Are you working on CC6 - or how about adding more features - like the ones we see in the mods - to the standard product?

I'm happy with CC and don't want to move to another cart. Not only is it a big job, but it is disruptive to my customers too.

Thanks for your attention!

There may be a roadmap in the bug tracker.

Development does need planning and the bug tracker also includes improvements/features and so is a natural place to move bug fixes/features into different releases based on development resources.

I've just looked at the V4/V5 bug tracker and whilst there is a page for Roadmap, there is no information.

However, if you don't already have an account, its worth creating one to report bugs and get a feel for what work is being done.

http://bugs.cubecart.com/signup.php

I'm sorry I can't answer your question (just a moderator, not a CC developer), but V5 is being actively developed as you'll see if you view the mantis bug tracker.

Jason

No response from Devellion?

Come on guys - I like CubeCart and would like to continue using it - but it seems that you have lost your heart - and so have many mod writers which made CC the kind of product we want to use.

Where are we going? How about some nice new features? I know they are difficult to develop - but why not consider buying or licensing them off of existing mod writers and making them part of the supported base product (even if a small incremental fee is payable)? Things like postcode shipping options would be a good addition!

• 2 weeks later...

This is NOT a company support forum. Personally, I'd rather the developers dealt with support tickets, the bug tracker issues, and improving CC than spending their time here. Yes, it would be nice to have Documentation and a vision of where they expect to take CC, if we could have it all.

At this point I don't even know if the developers are interested in further developing the product or are just in cruise mode on v5. Will there be a v6? Who knows! Certainly all the main talented mod developers seem to have gone AWOL while competing carts seem to include loads of those features for free.

I don't want to move - i'm comfortable with CC and it suits my needs - but i've been stuck on v3 for a long time now because some essential mods I use have not been updated. At least give us a glimmer of hope for the future! Or should I take the pain of migrating to something else now rather than later.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok i've started a thread there. It would be nice to know what your timeline is for 5.1 - are we talking 2012 or 2013?

I really would like to move forward. Moving to another cart is not what I would like to do, but I can't move forward with my cart in the state we are now with 5.0 as most of the mod writers for essential mods I use have not updated their code.

Carts like OpenCart are looking more and more tempting.