Category menu not working - get sent to 404 page

Hornblower

Am I just being unlucky? Is no-one else having problems??

One of my menu items would only, and continuosly, send you to a 404 page.

Yes I cleared the cache - many times

Yes I restarted my browser.

Yes I restarted my computer.

Yes I checked SQL tables and got an OK.

If I turned the category off in the menu all the other links continued to work properly. If I turned it back on it just repeated the problem. The only 'solution' was to empty the category of products delete it and then re-instate it. It then worked.

Was this a caching problem??? If so what is the point of having a section in the admin for clearing the cache?

I would prefer to develop with all the cacheing turned off but (even WITH bsmithers multiple unnecessary SQL calls fix) it can be terminally slow.

I am sure that this was once again down to problems with URLs not being constructed properly - there has to be a bug in there somewhere .... but perhaps the hosting company has not got it right - if so, why do CubeCart recommendend them - it's the only reason I went with them in the first place. Contact hosting support I hear you cry - tried that, last time I got the message "you are 64th in the queue ..." (no that is not a typing error)

If this is one of the easier carts to get working there must be some really bad ones out there .....

Please, if any one can get to the bottom of the SOE / Non SEO regular expression construction of URLs (with or without SSL) please let everyone know as soon as possible - there is a bug in the issue log, but can't see any progress on it.

Why do I say it is a problem with this? When the failing link was clicked it had the trailing index.php?_a=category&cat_id=2 format that would be right as SEO freindly is turned off, and the page it was 404'ing on was a SEO .html. Somewhere it was deciding that this link should be SEO friendly, then it couldn't be sent to the correct place because SEO freindly links are not enabled!! This, as far as I am concerned - especially as the cahce had been cleared several times, can only point to the mis-construction of the URL programmatically somewhere - my hunch? seo.class.php

I know that I have one or two rants about this already - but it is such a basic thing IT SHOuLD BE BULLIT PROOF!! There is nothing like broken links more guaranteed to send traffic away from your site!!