Magnify not working in IE

Is it just me or does the magnify script not work once you change images on the product page in any version of IE.

I have a custom template and thought it may be me that has broken it but when I went onto cubecarts demo site they have the same problem.

Where a product has two or more images and you change the image, the new image won't magnify, you just get the loading spinner.

It works fine in Safari, Firefox and Chrome from what I can see, just not IE.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Sorry, it does appear to work on IE9, but I still can't get it to work in IE6, 7 or 8 in IE Tester.

In fact in IE6 the zoom works but it is covered by a white square in front of the image which makes it even worse.

It's been a long day of testing my template in various bowsers and trying to get the templates looking similar in all of them. Whoever decided that all browsers should operate slightly differently should be shot.

Whoever decided that all browsers should operate slightly differently should be shot.

Agreed! Along with anyone still using IE6!

Might be worth looking at other image zoom scripts. This one came up in a quick Google search and appears to work in IE 7 and 8:

http://www.mind-projects.it/projects/jqzoom/demos.php

In the meantime, here's a good "fix" for IE6. Add the following to your CSS

*{

position: relative;

}

:whistle:

Do that many people still use the old versions of browsers, particularly that old?

Unfortunately, acording to Google Analytics for the old Cubecart 4 site my client has 54.5% of user use IE and of those 11% use IE 7 and 2% IE6. This equates to over 2000 visits a month on IE6 and IE7 alone.

As much as I would love to ignore the morons who use these old browsers it doesn't make commercial sense to effectively throw away 7% of total sales on an e-commerce store.

I have found a fix that seems to work for both IE7 & IE8 by changing /js/common.js for anyone who is interested. I have replaced:

var magnify_options = {lensWidth:250, lensHeight:250, link:true, delay:250};

$('a.magnify').magnify(magnify_options);

$('a.gallery').hover(function(){

var id    = $(this).attr('id');

if (typeof gallery_json == 'object') {

$('a.magnify > img#preview').attr({src: gallery_json[id].medium});

$('a.magnify').attr({href: gallery_json[id].large}).unbind().magnify(magnify_options);

}

});

with

var magnify_options = {lensWidth:250, lensHeight:250, link:true, delay:250};

$('a.magnify').magnify(magnify_options);

$('a.gallery').hover(function(){

var id    = $(this).attr('id');

if (typeof gallery_json == 'object') {

$('a.magnify > img#preview').attr({src: gallery_json[id].medium});

$('a.magnify').attr({href: gallery_json[id].large + '?random=' + (new Date()).getTime()}).unbind().magnify(magnify_options);

$('a.magnify').bind().magnify(magnify_options);

}

});

It may not be the best solution by any means but it seems to work.

• 3 months later...
Guest Wendy Peters

Actually I don't think anyone would want a customer using IE6 to buy from their website, it is a disaster waiting to happen, MS rolled out hundreds of updates and fixes in IE 7 8 9 and eventually someone will hack their visa details and guess who will be blamed for that?