What problems should I expect In an upgrade from 3.0.20 to 5.0.7

Guest Basikboy

Guest Basikboy

I really need to upgrade but worry about what I may lose In doing so. I am currently running a 3.0.20 Store and have been for over 5 years and have a nice customer base. If i make the change to version 5.0.7 what am I risking to lose? Thank you In advance for any help and or advice.

You'll lose all your mods, BUT many of those kinds of features are now standard in 5.0.7 - depends on which ones you need the worst I guess. There are still a few bugs in 5.0.7, so be sure to look over the Bug Tracker to see if anything there is crucial to your store. I created a clean test site before upgrading, so I could decide. My upgrade was rough, but they've improved the upgrade script since 5.0.0.

BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST - all files, folders, database - the works - AND BE SURE IT'S COMPLETE. I made one backup along the way that I thought was complete only to find that the FTP had stopped transferring, and I didn't realize it until it was too late.

DEFINITELY use the latest possible version of 5!

I used the trial key to put an offline to the public site in a folder on my domain. I actually did that twice - once with a clean install, and another with an upgrade of a COPY of my database WITH A DIFFERENT NAME. If you upgrade your existing store using your existing database YOU CAN'T GO BACK without replacing everything from backups of files and database.

Hi

cc5 works very well The way it works but somethings do not work as well as expected but you can work around this. ie Pictures on on document pages can be awkward as it optimizes pictures for web speed and can degrade quality if you are not careful.

We have had lots of help from the cubecart people on the upgrade and for the real tech problems.

You will be well pleased with cc5 and if you except its limitations it a terrific piece of software. Strongly advise you to buy from new straight on to a new website and not upgrade form cc3 on your existing website if you have a good customer base on your existing one, because for us with out a customer base it has taken almost a month to get it working to how we want it and understand the way it works.

PS We love the way cc3 works and would use it for another shop if only we could put in a payment gateway It does not support the gate way we would like to use.

Johnc Valroma

Going from a V3 to a V5 may be a bit of a nightmare. I know from V4 to V5 was. DO NOT FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR DATABASE and double check it first! Honestly I'd do a fresh install. I've not heard one person say their upgrade went well due to the difference in codings. This is why I'd do it as a fresh install instead of an upgrade.

Something to think about is that V5 is unlike any of the previous versions. This WILL cause you to lose your SEO standings. I had my V4 store for years and was at the top of many of the search engine pages relating to my industry. V5 caused me to lose all of those and I've been battling since August to get those back. It is slow going so do it at a slow time of year.

I've been at it since August of 2011. I still have many bugs but the bells and whistles of v5, once they all work right, can't be matched without paying a LOT more for the few carts that are compairable.

Jamie

Understandable reluctance. Security issues will eventually become a problem, if not already, as there is no more upgrading or CC support for v3. At least consider upgrading to v4. I knew nothing at all about the inner workings of CC, so I paid to go from v3 to v4. I made the v4 to v5 upgrade myself, after lots of playing with clean install and upgrade trials. I have one clean install store and one upgrade store. Having the clean one for comparison helped a lot. You can't go back, though, once you upgrade your live store - the database just gets changed too much.

Guest Viola

Upgrading from v3 to v5 is really not that bad. I've done it for several clients and the biggest issue so far was customer addresses not working (fixed by simply deleting them from the db and forcing customers to re-enter them).

What I do is make a copy of the v3 store and database into a subfolder, edit the global.inc.php file of the copy so it uses the copied database, and then upgrade the copy to v5. The v5 store can then be set up without taking the v3 store offline. Then when the v5 store is ready to go, I delete the v3 store and move the v5 store to where the v3 store was. Note that a minor issue with moving a store is that it will break the links to images placed in site documents (but not product images) - you just replace the image to fix it. Get a trial key for v5, and then if by some chance things do go horribly wrong you haven't lost anything.

After upgrading you will need to reconfigure taxes, shipping, and payment gateways - those settings just don't carry over. Also check that the countries and states(or zones) you ship to are listed under Countries/Zones (in my case all the states for Australia are missing for some reason). You might also need to re-enter your copyright removal key, if you have one. Everything else should be fine, but obviously go over all the settings anyway.

Hope that helps.

Guest Viola

What exactly do you mean by security issues?

Hackers are constantly finding new ways to exploit CMS software. The older your software, the more likely it is that someone has found an exploit for it.