EU cookie Law Compliance

fantastichearts

All,

What are views on your various CC stores to complie with the new EU directive that is about to put in place. This article below summarises some of the options.

http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/9202-eu-cookie-law-three-approaches-to-compliance

Not sure if it something that the CC will/or can implement as part of their software?

The major date for your diary is May 26th 2012 when the law will be enforced in the UK. The

Information Commissioner’s Office will be the body responsible for monitoring the enforcement of

the law and has been consulting with the digital industry to ensure a robust, self-regulatory

framework is in place to address the main concerns of the law.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/ (as you can see they have already implemented a permission box)

I looked at the ico site - and if that's what has to be done for compliance - stupid is not the word for it!! I'll put something on my Privacy-Security page about using Cookies to make the cart work properly, but beyond that I wouldn't have a clue what to say.

So I added this to my Security-Privacy document:

Our catalog, just like other shopping cart sites, creates Cookies on your computer to make the site work properly.

• 1 month later...

The ICO's current solution is inelegant but I'm sure not too difficult to implement?

<div id="banner">

<strong>The ICO would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our <a href="/Global/privacy_statement.aspx" target="_blank" title="Opens in new window">privacy notice.</a></strong>

<br />

<br />

<input id="ctlCookiesBanner_chkAcceptCookie" type="checkbox" name="ctlCookiesBanner$chkAcceptCookie" onclick="return clickButton(event,'ctlCookiesBanner_btnAcceptCookie');" /> <label for="ctlCookiesBanner_chkAcceptCookie">I accept cookies from this site.</label> <input type="submit" name="ctlCookiesBanner$btnAcceptCookie" value="Continue" id="ctlCookiesBanner_btnAcceptCookie" class="button" />

</div>

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">

if (!navigator.cookieEnabled) {

var banner = document.getElementById("banner");

banner.style.display = "none";

}

</script>

</div>

</form>