Help needed understanding "ZONES"

JulesInFrance

I was wondering what ZONES are.

I understand the concept of Countries but then it gets messy; there's a tab under Countries/Zones called Zones but this merely shows a list of administrative areas (US = States, Canada = Provinces, France = Departments, UK = Counties, etc); are these "(Z/z)ones"?

Certainly if I want to add a Z/zone I need to select a country first, suggesting that Z/zones are administrative sub-units of countries - but that's a supposition.

However when I go to, say, Admin => Modules => Shipping Methods => By Weight I'm faced with Module Settings, Zone # and Z/zones ...

Zone # are groups of Countries (as identified by their ISO codes); might they better be called Areas to disambiguate them?

Then there's Z/zones; there are two tabs for Z/zones, "Allowed", and "Disallowed" but both provide functionality to include Countries. So, is a Z/zone now a Country?

And if a Country in excluded from both Allowed and Disallowed does it allowed to disallowed.

What is the current understanding on this topic?

With thanks

Jules

Disallowed was added to make it easy to disable just a few countries/zones. We needed to disable Italy, because customs there prohibits what we sell. Without the Disallow tab we would have had to Enable each other country individually to leave off Italy.

I received a reply from the developer on this.

If both tabs have null values then all Countries are allowed.

If Allowed has >1 selected then only the allowed countries are allowed.

If Disallowed has >1 selected then only the disallowed countries are disallowed.

Prioritisation is unclear (ie what happens if a country is both allowed and disallowed at the same time).

For some modules, like shipping-by-weight, the zones function is unclear. So, if you select a country by ISO Code yet that country is disallowed then the function of the specific module (shipping by weight) should over-ride the functionality of the generic module (counties/zone).

It's still a bugger's muddle though.

e & o e

Jules

The developer's position on Zones in CubeCart Admin is "Zone term depends on area used. Zone as county in Countries/Zones used is not as the same as Allowed Zone, Disabled Zone either Zone in shipping area used."

So, a bit like "glory" in Wonderland:

'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean  neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

;-))