How to upgrade v5.0.7 to newer?

I’m a new CubeCart user gradually setting up a new version of my website with CubeCart for the store area.

After being advised to upgrade from v5.0.7 to 5.0.8 to deal with a digital download problem, I’d like to try this myself. But I can’t find any simple, step-by-step instructions on how to do this with v5.

Can anyone point me to some good info, or tell me how to do it, in terms of which files and folders to replace and which need to be kept from previous?

I’ve downloaded 5.0.8 (don’t want to go to 5.0.9).

Thanks, Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

It depends whether your store has been modified really. If it hasn't then upgrading is as easy as just overwriting all the files with the updated ones.

It's when you have custom modifications that it becomes tricky, the options then are to either just overwrite all the files with the update and reinstall the mods (can be worthwhile if you have only a small number of easy to install ones), or you can use a program such as winmerge to compare every file and find all the differences to apply manually. (The very long way)

Thanks Toucan.

I haven’t modified any of the cubecart files, but I’ve entered settings, text, images and product info. Surely if I replace all the files (and folders?), I will lose this and have to enter all this data again. Or do you mean just replace the top level files: eg the various admin.php, index.php and ini.inc.php files?

I read somewhere (probably related to CCv3 or 4) about clearing the cache before upgrading. And running an upgrade script from the setup folder. Is this not relevant in this case?

As you can see, I know nothing of php, but am OK with html, css etc.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers.

Hi Geoff,

All that information (well, images aside) are stored in the database, so you can go ahead and replace them without it affecting anything. The images are unique and can't generally get replaced either, though you sometimes have to be wary of accidentally overwriting a favicon if you have one.

If you've made any custom changes to the skin, you might want to be careful with those. But in general It's only custom mods and other non standard plugins that you have to worry about upgrading over the top of.

One thing usually recommended is to take a backup of the database and files first just in case, always best to be careful, but in general, you'll probably want to be taking database backups at least once a week anyway.

OK. Thanks for your advice Toucan.

I've already backed up all the cubecart files and folders and the database. I'll give this a go. At this stage it's no disaster if I have a problem since the site isn't live and I've held back from building the content until I'm happy with functionality and suchlike.