No shipping for single item

sparky5693

Any item how I can handle a single item in my store that doesn't require shipping? Currently I have it set as a digital product, even though it isn't really. The download url goes to a thank you message, and it's confused more than one customer. Anyone have a better idea?

Guest Viola

Tricky.... it would depend on how shipping is done for the rest of your products. Using Shipping By Weight would make it easy - you just give that one product a weight of 0. Or you could use Shipping By Category and put that product in it's own category.

Guest Viola

Did some experimenting with this, and it might be doable with the By Weight module (you can use it as well as usps).

- Give the no-shipping product the smallest weight on the store.

- Set up By Weight for up to that weight with 0 as the price (eg. if the product weight is 0.01 set the Rates as 0.02:0). Obviously 0 for the packaging weight and handling cost.

- You'll need to make a small adjustment to the module to get the $0 price to work. Edit the file

/modules/shipping/By_Weight/shipping.class.php

find around line 40

if ($value>0)

and change it to

if ($value || $value==='0')

You should then have $0.00 shipping available when only that product is in the basket. Although if someone orders 2 of that product it won't work, depending on what you set the weight to. That's the only idea I've got though.