Costumer uses coupon just 1 time

Guest PanKBoy

Guest PanKBoy

Hello,

I'm testing the coupons function, and i'm having some problems.

I want to create a coupon with 10% of discount on orders above 20€. This i can do easily..

The problem is that each costumer can use the coupon the times he want until the coupon expires.

Is there any way to make the coupon available just one time for each costumer?

Thank You! ;)

Guest PanKBoy

Allowed Uses is to set the number of times that the coupon can be used(doesn't matter by who!).

If i set allowed uses to 20 for example, the same costumer can use the coupon 20 times and no more costumers can use the coupon.

I want each client can only use the coupon once. Do you understand? (Sorry the bad english)

Thank You! ;)

• 1 month later...

This is something we need also; we previously used a plugin from third party with v4 (Estelle!) that had this functionality. We need to be able to limit number of coupon uses PER CLIENT such as a special sale or "first time customer discount."

Seems like borrowing that data field from Estelle's version would be simple enough, since many of us upgrading from v4 would likely have had that field in there someplace (number of uses per customer, separate from total number of uses).

Anyway, dems my 2 cents.

• 9 months later...

@SimChris - I have multiple clients in exactly that position.  All are waiting to upgrade to V5 but this coupon deficiency is the only hangup left now that Devellion bought Estelle's shipping plugin.  The lack of adequate shipping functionality on CC5 was a deal breaker until that happened - I lost two clients to Shopify because of it and failed to land two other potential clients because of the lack of some really basic functionality in CC5, ESPECIALLY the shipping and coupons.  Now that we have the shipping issue resolved, the only real stumbling block is the coupons.  CC5 is definitely a great improvement, but some basics are still missing.

I'm surprised no dev has stepped into this void.  The coupon system in CC5 is just plain awful, as it was in CC4, only now we don't have Estelle to fill the void.  Devellion may not understand that a robust coupon feature deserves serious attention since it is a major and common way to drive sales. Therefore, it is an extremely important component for the end user to have in their store.

I have a query in to SemperFi about modifying his coupon enhancements plugin to add this feature.  I figure if he already has a plugin for coupons written, it may be less of a task and shorter time frame for him to add a feature than for someone to create a plugin from scratch.  I think he will sell quite a few more licenses if he has this feature.

It might not hurt if anyone who needs this feature shot him an email and let him know there is a market out there for it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

This problem is really bad. I created a coupon with 20 uses, thinking that meant 20 different customers could use it.

But no.

A customer got the £5 coupon, then ordered 4 items, and got £5 off each item, a couple of which only cost £5.50 so instead of giving a reasonable discount, I made a big loss on the transaction. Luckily for me the customer noticed and offered to reimburse me, but I doubt that would always happen!

I have had a few communications with Daren at Semper Fi Web Services about adding this feature to his existing CC5 coupon enhancements plugin.  He seems very interested in doing it and I am hoping he will want to follow through and produce this upgrade.  I think the more demand he feels there is, the more motivated he will be to do it, so if you or your clients would buy it, let him know.

I have had a few communications with Daren at Semper Fi Web Services about adding this feature to his existing CC5 coupon enhancements plugin.  He seems very interested in doing it and I am hoping he will want to follow through and produce this upgrade.  I think the more demand he feels there is, the more motivated he will be to do it, so if you or your clients would buy it, let him know.

Not quite sure what you mean by "feature" unless the feature is purely that the coupon system works.

I just had another (very bad) problem with coupons, in which even with just one use of the coupon a seemingly random amount was deducted from the total. 

Here:

http://forums.cubecart.com/topic/47338-discount-coupon-big-problem/

I added my request for this to Semper Fi's thread about his coupon mod.

The coupon system works*.

* There are reports that under some unknown circumstances, the discounts that coupons provide are not calculated correctly. Plus, the system may not precisely work the way you need it to.

The coupon system works*.

But it seems that if a customer has a coupon, they can use it many times (that is what this thread is about) which means the coupon system is not working.

If I give someone a £5 coupon, I want them to get £5 off their order, not £25 off if they order five items. Otherwise it's like giving somebody a blank cheque.

I understand that the other issue you mentioned * , where some random amount is deducted must be a bug, so I hope that gets sorted out.

The absence of a particular limiting factor does not invalidate the entire paradigm.

Should a coupon be created that can be used once and only once, the customer who has that coupon can apply it to the subtotal of only one order (according to other limitations that may apply).

Your comments seem to imply that the coupon system, as applied specifically to this discussion's topic, does not work. True -- as it applies specifically to this discussion's topic.

But that's like saying an automobile doesn't work if it didn't come with a convertible roof. You may need such a roof, but not having one doesn't mean the car doesn't work.

The absence of a particular limiting factor does not invalidate the entire paradigm.

Should a coupon be created that can be used once and only once, the customer who has that coupon can apply it to the subtotal of only one order (according to other limitations that may apply).

Your comments seem to imply that the coupon system, as applied specifically to this discussion's topic, does not work. True -- as it applies specifically to this discussion's topic.

But that's like saying an automobile doesn't work if it didn't come with a convertible roof. You may need such a roof, but not having one doesn't mean the car doesn't work.

Yes, I totally agree that if you wanted a coupon that can only be used once by one person, it makes some sense. But i would have thought that is much less likely than wanting a convertible.

Either way, I was caught out because it is not made clear that is what it is for. OTOH in the case of a car with a convertible roof, it is very obvious what it does.

Plus the problem that even if you have a coupon with one use, it can still be used more than once, ie after use it still shows as not being used 0/1 times (which I presume must be another bug so hopefully that will be sorted)

Plus the problem that even if you have a coupon with one use, it can still be used more than once, ie after use it still shows as not being used 0/1 times (which I presume must be another bug so hopefully that will be sorted)

I just tried enabling a coupon that had one use and had been used (1/1). My test customer did correctly receive the error message that the coupon had expired when I tried to use it again..

@salvador21 -

I believe the native coupon system in CC5 does work, aside from the lack of certain features.  You may want to check your installation, it sounds like you might have a corrupt file or some file permission / other issue that is preventing the coupon system from working correctly. 

Many times stalls in the long ftp upload can mess up a file or two.  I have had it happen over the years a few times.  Most of the time, re-uploading in small batches works to clear it up. 

I have also had mysterious permissions errors on files that were ftp'd to my server.  I have had permissions incorrectly set at 0, which doesn't allow the file to be accessed at all and will cause problems with the functionality that particular file provides.

Just some suggestions, FWIW.

@salvador21 -

I believe the native coupon system in CC5 does work, aside from the lack of certain features.  You may want to check your installation, it sounds like you might have a corrupt file or some file permission / other issue that is preventing the coupon system from working correctly. 

Many times stalls in the long ftp upload can mess up a file or two.  I have had it happen over the years a few times.  Most of the time, re-uploading in small batches works to clear it up. 

I have also had mysterious permissions errors on files that were ftp'd to my server.  I have had permissions incorrectly set at 0, which doesn't allow the file to be accessed at all and will cause problems with the functionality that particular file provides.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into that. Do you know which specific files might be responsible?

I had a pretty good understanding of the files in CC4, but I am really not very familiar with CC5 since it is a total rewrite.

You might want to re-upload the smarty folder at /includes/lib/smarty and then check the permissions of the files.  Also do the /classes/cubecart.class.php.  I am just guessing on these since I haven't had time or opportunity to learn the new CC5 code structure.

On Linux, folders for these should be 755 and files should be 644.

Don't know if this will help.  You can also just re-upload all the files in small batches so there are no timeout errors and see if that helps.

I am assuming this is a fresh install and not an upgrade from an earlier version of CC.  Upgrades do work (I have done 2 from CC4), but the chances of something getting broken are certainly there, depending upon your mods and configuration in the CC4 version.

Hope you get this sorted.

Kirk

Coupons work properly as a general coupon. So, in the sense that somebody can buy 5 newspapers, get 5 Coke coupons and then go to a supermarket and buy 5 cases of Coke, once per day; it works perfectly. Where it does NOT work is there is no "limit per user." With the wonderful Estelle mod we had available for CC4, we could limit BOTH number of "uses for anybody" (such as "first 100 users get 10% off this weekend - come on down!") ... AND we could limit "per user" who had to be logged into their account to use any coupon (how it tracked that feature). This allowed store owners to offer a "one time" promotion such as Memorial Day (in U.S.) holiday special, "order all you want, limit ONE 20% off holiday bonus per customer" .... AND it allowed us to specify a category the coupon could apply to. Totally awesome.

Hopefully a third party iteration of this will work as well - as we really need that feature. Sadly, some customers try to "game" a system if they can get away with it, then basically say 'if I don't get the discount 'which your system let me do' then I will take my business elsewhere."   -- in the old days we'd tell them go ahead ... but in this economy we can't be so picky as were years back.

REQUEST for future feature (yes, I'm in wrong place to do that) in CubeCart 5.5:

"robust" coupon/discount options

a) choose number of uses (total uses all users)

B) limit number of uses *per customer* for specific coupon (requires client login or create account; cheats creating multiple accounts get booted manually); allows to limit for "first time customer" discount or an "affiliate/partner" referral discount, etc.

c) time limit (expires on date)

d) specify category coupon can apply to (or per item checkbox, or group as applicable)

Happy to pay for CubeCart "branded" enhancement addon (seems these would be nice to offer...)

Happy to pay for third party addon.

I am assuming this is a fresh install and not an upgrade from an earlier version of CC.  Upgrades do work (I have done 2 from CC4), but the chances of something getting broken are certainly there, depending upon your mods and configuration in the CC4 version.

No this is an upgrade from version 4. Is it possible to do a fresh install, without losing the database of previous orders and customers?

A "Fresh Install" is where CubeCart creates a brand new empty database (more accurately expressed as a new set of tables). An "Upgrade" is where CubeCart takes the CC3/4 database schema and converts that schema and data to CC5's requirements.

To keep CC5 from "upgrading" the existing CC4 set of tables, during CC5's installation, specify a unique table prefix, such as 'cc5_'.

A "Fresh Install" is where CubeCart creates a brand new empty database (more accurately expressed as a new set of tables). An "Upgrade" is where CubeCart takes the CC3/4 database schema and converts that schema and data to CC5's requirements.

To keep CC5 from "upgrading" the existing CC4 set of tables, during CC5's installation, specify a unique table prefix, such as 'cc5_'.

Aha. But is it too late if I already did a "dirty" install? Can I make it clean?

I thought i was just following the instructions, nothing about clean installs or specifying table prefix here:

https://support.cubecart.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/196/43/how-do-i-upgrade-from-cubecart-v4-to-v5

During an 'upgrade' install, CubeCart (should) not ask for the table prefix as it will discover whatever set of tables CC4 is currently using -- regardless of having a table prefix or not. Those instruction assume you are actually wanting to "upgrade", so no mention made of, "Are you really sure you want to do this as opposed to a fresh install?"

You can re-run the CC5 installer and make sure you notice and choose to do a fresh install (as opposed to an upgrade). Then, CubeCart should prompt you with the host, user, pass, and table prefix of the database that is to be set up.

Can you make what was a CC4 database that has been upgraded to CC5 revert back to CC4? Sure. It's called 'restore from a prior database backup'.