Customer IP Address in v5.1.0?

Dirty Butter

Someone must have asked for it. Possible uses:

Selling software that is locked to an IP address and the IP address is included to remind the customer what computer/internet connect it can be used with.

"I didn't order this!!" To contact Homeland Security, the bank, and the store to let them know that someone at this IP address is making fraudulent purchases.

"That's not my IP address!!" (Not that many people would know it.) Shows the computer is caught in a Man-in-the-middle situation or DNS redirection.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible for a legitimate customer to Register without their IP address showing up in their Customer data? Have one today that "looks" legit, but there's no mailing address information and no IP Address shown. I normally email people who register, but don't buy. But I sure don't want to send my email address to a hacker/spammer!!!

Some people can mask their IP via a proxy of some kind, but you should still see some kind of IP.

The benefit of capturing the IP is multi-fold; we've run into issues where a fraudster is placing order from Australia, claiming the card is from Arizona, but then putting in a company address in Florida. Doh.

IP is super useful for friendly fraud, also, since you can enhance the proof of the AVS passing (don't take order without AVS pass, or you set yourself up for fraud), by showing IP of the purchase, and often it's in the same vicinity of the customer's billing info (e.g., Los Angeles, or Chicago, etc.). --- speaking of customers in the US of course ;-) We've gotten our money from Amex with couple of creeps who tried to claim they didn't place the order, when we had valid IP showing tt came from THEIR INTRANET (!), and the AVS matched, and we had emails from their staff from their email accounts attached to their valid domain names.

So, IP isn't 100% full proof, but it's an extra line of defense (or defence for you euros) to help stop potential fraud. Since we also have clients fill out a project form, we have second chance to capture IP and if it's radically different - differetn state, different service provider, etc., we also flag that to double check.

If you're selling $10 t-shirts no reason to obsess too much. If selling a $700 service, you have to be crazy paranoid. IP helps!! :-)