Resolved - Can't get rid of includes/global.inc.php error warning.

Guest familychoice

Guest familychoice

Hi,

I upgraded a site from V4 to the latest version of V5.

I keep receiving an error message in the Admin Error Log:

"WARNING: Your includes/global.inc.php is currently writable, you should change the file permissions to read only. On Linux or Unix systems it should be CHMOD to 0444."

This file has been amended, and I've double checked it a number of times but the error message keeps reappearing.

Is this a bug?

Thanks.

Guest familychoice

What is the file CHMOD setting?

Thanks for the reply.

I've been amending the permissions via WS_FTP which is usually fine. I've just checked the permission using the cpanel filemanager though and it listed it as being 0644. I've changed it again, this time via the filemanager and it's now listed as 0444.

Either my FTP client is playing up and not applying the correct permissions, or the file's being changed. I'll keep an eye on it and if the error pops up again, try and find out what's resetting the permissions.

If it stays as 0444 I'll need to get some new FTP software!

Guest familychoice

I use CuteFTP, and I cannot set the CHMOD with it. It has to be done from cpanel.

WS_FTP is pretty ancient but I've never had any issues before with changing permissions. The file is still ok though so maybe it's time for an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, in case anybody needs the "trick" with this; in my upgrade the "ownership" was set as Apache vs the user; hence unable to change permissions via CuteFTP (et al). ...

however, with my FileManager on the server, which also wouldn't let me do CHMOD the simple fix was to rename file and replace.

1) download backup of site via FTP (should do anyway)

2) rename with server/domain FileManager as gglobal.inc.php

3) upload the global.inc.php backup to directory

4) change permission via FTP on the new uploaded copy since now owned by user, not Apache

Works. :-)

• 3 months later...

Setting a file to 0444 makes it essentially untouchable to anybody but root, so the server ignores it and either blocks the CHMOD or changes it back to 0644 for you. It's not a bug and doesn't affect anything. It's only a potential issue on servers that don't run SuPHP, but it's hard to tell whether a server does or not for certain from within PHP. We'll try to look at the code and see if we can make it a bit smarter perhaps. :D

:w00t: