Errors on backup

I'm looking to try the new auto update feature, and need to backup my store first. When I backup the database, I get an error saying it failed. When I backup files I get this:

• Error: PCLZIP_ERR_READ_OPEN_FAIL (-2) : Unable to open archive 'backup/files_5.1.0_08Jul12-124351.zip' in wb mode

Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot, but I don't see anything that resembles a backup, and upgrade will not start, as it says I need to backup.

To me I thought it might be a permission issue, but I don't see any indication of where it's trying to save the backups.

What I thought was a backup was not.

I did, however, test Backup on our store that was a clean v4 install upgraded successively to 5.1.1, using basically a default skin with color changes. It worked perfectly there. That store is relatively small, with about 200 products and about 100MB of images.

It does not work, however, on our main store, which is using a commercial skin and has quite a few mods installed. It has over 3000 products and almost 600MB of images. After a long wait it 404's.

Both stores were upgraded automatically to 5.1.1.

It sounds like it thinks there is already a backup there - possibly corrupted. If you have any zipped files in your store/backup folder try moving or deleting them from cpanel, rather than ftp, so you can see hidden files. The only files I have are an htaccess and index.php.

Better yet - why not rename the backup folder and create another one, creating the .htaccess and index.php in it.

.htaccess contents =

deny from all

index.php contents =

<?php

die('Access denied');