Enable Caching-store setting

ravuth

since i use cubecart v5 , i wonder about store setting->Advanced->Enable Caching

what is that mean ?

what is the advantage for that if it is enable ?

for my store has more than 8000 products and more than 100 products updated daily , this is the advantage to use it ?

what about "Memcache Server List (Comma separated)" ? what is the benefit of it ? how to use it ?

hope get some idea,

There are a few aspects to the caching mechanism: skins, sql queries, and arrays of data. (I've never enabled it for my experiments as I am always changing things.)

Skins: the Smarty templating engine, even though a lot faster than its previous versions, still grinds away at building the final rendition of what you see. This final rendition is cached so that the next time this page of this skin is called, the only thing left to do is to query the database for the dynamic data and spit out the HTML.

SQL Queries: I'm not 100% sure what is cached here

Arrays: For things that don't change all that often, such as categories and the array structures derived from them, they are cached.

There may be other collections of data cached as well. Like I said, I haven't been exploring the cache system all that much.

It seems to me regarding CC5, for a store with many products, a cache system offers no greater efficiency than a store with a few products. Categories, on the other hand, if you had 8000 categories, I think CubeCart would cause the server it is on to deny the resources needed to constantly build the arrays needed to create the navigation menu, etc. This is cached. (I've looked at the menu builders and when SEO links are switched on, each category takes four database calls. But I am still trying to optimize the first time the builders run.)

Memcaches (if I am correct) offers advantage when the PHP script involves complex parsing. PHP is an interpreted language. The entire script is processed into "byte-code" then executed from that. Each time the script is called, it is processed. A mem-cache will keep this script in processed form and stored in memory. So your hosted account provider will need to be very lenient as to how much machine memory your account can consume.