Upgrade from 4.3.7 to V5

bigpedro

HI Everyone!!

I am working on an upgrade for a client. Currently running 4.3.7 and wanting to go to V5. There are nearly 2000 products in the store.

The skin will be totally redesigned in the process. So in effect all I want to do is bring over the products, images and categories.

Am I better of using a fresh V5 installation with new DB and importing the products in? Or do you think I should try and upgrade?

I read somewhere that the V4 and V5 databases don't work well after an uprgade.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Ta!

Pedro!

I agree do not do it right now! But before you do it at all, be sure to ask your customer if they are prepared to lose all their search engine rankings? A year after my initial upgrade from v4 to v5 I am still working to get back to where I was and it is very frustrating.

Are they prepared to deal with things working fine one day and not another without having made any changes in between? I'm missing v4 more and more every day. I've had a ton of issues in the past year. I'm running 5.1.1 and have no intentions of upgrading further any time soon. I can't afford to be a guinea pig, which is what your customers would be. What makes them want to switch? Weigh those reasons for upgrading carefully. When it works right v5 will be worth it. This has been my mantra for a year and counting.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danniboy

I have experienced a lot of problems upgrading from 4.3.7 to 5.1.4 as the database structure for the products inventory has changed and all associations to product images are lost. At present I will not be recommending to my client to upgrade and since 4.3.7 uses mainly table layout which fails accessibility my client may have to look fro an alternative ecommerce solution altogether.

• 3 weeks later...

What I really, really don't get is why people come here to complain but don't come submit tickets with their issues. I've upgraded dozens of stores and never had any issues. Milos and Al have done the same. Yet people find something that's amiss. Most all issues I've encountered in upgrades stem from server inconsistencies, NOT software issues. There's absolutely no way any software designer can accommodate ALL server setups because hosting companies don't make sense with some of the crap they do.

As for the "technical difficulties", Please Brian, spell them out. We're more than happy to address them one by one.

:w00t:

Guest danniboy

In case anyone wishes to address the problem of case sensitivity in MySQL it is a one line change in my.ini file in the MySQL installation

In the SERVER SECTION of the my.ini file just below [mysqld] add the line:

lower_case_table_names=2

Further reading: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html

This however did not resolve my attempt at upgrade!

Out of interest anyone knoe why the upgrade has moved all of my uploaded binaries into the setup directory during the upgrade process?

There's usually a flurry of resolved bug reports about a week before a new release comes out, so keep your eye out on the Bug Tracker. There has been some activity in the last few days resolving issues. Fingers crossed, but no need for them to rush and send us another bunch of bugs, right?

Since you say it's searching for product numbers that is essential and you can't get it to work in v4, I wonder if you have the same situation I had. I had always used a product numbering system that has hyphens in it, so an item might be SBCD100712-13. I found that I could not search for the product code. But I did a search/replace on my database and changed it to SBC100712x13, and voila - they are searchable!

What I really, really don't get is why people come here to complain but don't come submit tickets with their issues.

Because this forum is seen as the official forum, as advertised. Official meaning used by Devellion. Support tickets cost money, and I guess they don't know how the ticket and support credit system works.

In addition, there is no direct link at the top of the forum to the official helpdesk. Some may not realise it exists, if they've not been here before.

Since you say it's searching for product numbers that is essential and you can't get it to work in v4, I wonder if you have the same situation I had. I had always used a product numbering system that has hyphens in it, so an item might be SBCD100712-13. I found that I could not search for the product code. But I did a search/replace on my database and changed it to SBC100712x13, and voila - they are searchable!

Yes, that is one of the problems we are having. I'll have to try that, thanks! Besides that, the search function just doesn't work very well overall. For no apparent reason, even entering the item name exactly as it is listed sometimes produces no results. Whereas other times entering an item such as "Frontline Command WWII" will bring up everything containing any one of those words, which is a lot in our database. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and we have had several complaints about it. I tested the search function on the CC5 demo site, and it seems to work great, so I'm hopeful that will solve our problem.

In the mean time, I will try your suggestion, as that will help somewhat.

But before you do it at all, be sure to ask your customer if they are prepared to lose all their search engine rankings?

I am also concerned about this. Currently we are ranking pretty high in Google for our preferred key words and have for a few years. I would hate to lose that. Anyone else had this problem?