Resolved - Blank screen/Internal server error on install

Guest Gewoon_Vincent

Guest Gewoon_Vincent

Hi I'm trying to install CC5.1.3, but I get a blank page with HTTP-status code 500 internal server error. This happens after the step that says "Choose this option if you wish to perform a fresh installation of CubeCart. WARNING: By proceeding with this option any existing store data may be overwritten!".

The server is running on Linux with PHP version 5.3.10. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Well, there is that.

But an install should go smoothly. A 500 Server Error is even before PHP gets to work on the script. So, do you have an .htaccess file that may be doing some funky things?

If this is your dedicated server, go find the error logs for the web server.

Guest Gewoon_Vincent

Don't install 5.1.3!! Better to wait for 5.1.5 if you can!!!

Why?

Well, there is that.

But an install should go smoothly. A 500 Server Error is even before PHP gets to work on the script. So, do you have an .htaccess file that may be doing some funky things?

If this is your dedicated server, go find the error logs for the web server.

No I don't have an .htaccess file, I didn't change or add anything to the files either. I'm using virtual hosting so I'll ask the provider to take a look at the logfiles.

5.1.3 was replaced within a few days by 5.1.4, but there seem to be some major problems still. You do need to figure out why the install wouldn't work, as that was not the problem with 5.1.3 as I understand it. But it would be better IMHO to wait until 5.1.5 before actually installing.

Guest Gewoon_Vincent

5.1.3 was replaced within a few days by 5.1.4, but there seem to be some major problems still. You do need to figure out why the install wouldn't work, as that was not the problem with 5.1.3 as I understand it. But it would be better IMHO to wait until 5.1.5 before actually installing.

I just tried 5.1.4 and it works perfect! Guess you're right about 5.1.3 :)

Unfortunately I have a deadline so I can't wait for the next release, but I can always upgrade right?

Upgrades are always possible. And by 'upgrade' we mean the entire code package is replaced, even files that didn't have any code fixes. There will be an upgrade script that needs to be run and will take care of any intermediate versions you may have skipped.

So, if you want to make changes to a skin, be sure to learn how to copy a skin, rename it, and edit the config.xml file for it. Otherwise, it will get overwritten on the upgrade. Then, for an upgrade, find the differences in a skin file and copy that to your skin.

Your database will (should) be safe.

Glad it worked for you!! And I'll ditto what Bsmither said - create a renamed copy of the skin you use, so your edits won't be lost on each upgrade. That's a HUGE time saver!!

Since you installed 5.1.4 - take a look at this post - http://forums.cubecart.com/topic/46192-file-difference-report-v511-to-v514/

Your database will (should) be safe.

But once you have the store set up and all your products added, make sure you grab a database dump and keep it somewhere safe. Just in case. :)

Going by what's on the bug tracker so far, 5.1.4 should be mostly ok if you're not using USPS. Might want to look at Butter's post about hooks though, if you haven't already: