Empty basket bug

Ben224

Hi,

V51.1

I am intermittently getting the 'your basket is empty' page when I click to view basket having loaded products into the basket.

Ive tested the problem on different computers and the results are consistent so it cant be a browser cookie or cache specific thing. I know that Google updated their version of jQuery held in their repository lately so I am guessing this may have something to do with the problem? I did back step the jquery version to 1.7 as suggested on the forum hoping this would solve the problem but it continues. I have found the only way to resolve the issue is to briefly switch between skins and then go back to my own skin. Weird. I would really like to know what is causing it to happen from the outset with a view of resolving it permanently.

Has anyone any ideas or similar occurrences?

Thanks in advance.

If switching skins fixes it, have you tried going through the process using just a stock skin? Did you clear your cache after backstepping jquery? A link to your site would also be helpful.

Hi thanks for your response.

When I switch to a stock skin the problem is still present so I know its not a skin issue. You mention clearing the cache I think I recall doing so but I will again to be sure. I am a little unsure which of the cache options should be cleared. There are currently 4 options Cache, SQL Cache, Language Cache, Image Cache should I clear them all for good measure?

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I am reviving this post as I am still plagued by this frustrating empty basket bug. I am loosing sales because of this bug and just cant figure out why its occurring.

The only way to recover normal functionality to the shopping basket once I hit the dreaded empty basket wall is to completely empty all the cache options from within both the CC admin panel and my web browser. I have to repeat the process a couple of times before basket functionality is restored.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thank you in advance.

I believe this can happen if, for example, someone enters the store on http://domain.com and then gets redirected to https://www.domain.com when they go to the basket. When they first enter the store a cookie is set for domain.com and that's what their basket is saved to as they add items. Then they go to the basket and are redirected to the secure URL, which has a www. As there is no cookie set yet for www.domain.com the basket appears empty. This is assuming you have SSL enabled, but not forced on all pages.

To test that theory, load up your store on whichever URL doesn't match your secure URL, add some items to the basket, then go to checkout.

If this is the case, there's a couple of ways around it.

1. Force SSL on all pages.

2. Set up a redirect so anyone entering the store on the wrong URL is redirected to the correct one.

Viola,

Thanks for your response. Correct I do have SSL implemented on my checkout pages. I think making all pages SSL would probably resolve issues, but I read somewhere that having all pages secure can be very server intensive and can lead to a reduction in the response and loading time of the site. This may not be the case?

Anyhow in my specific case it doesn't appear to be related to SSL non SSL as 90% of my trials are successful.

I have noticed that if I log into the site from a page stored in my browsers history for instance there is confusion between previous and current sessions. Could this in your opinion be related to persistent and non persistent cookies? I know little about them and I am trying to piece together information from various sources/articles.

Does Cubecart remember a users session after the browser is shut I wonder? It appears to remember that I have nothing in my cart from a previous session and doesn't let the current session override the previous 'empty cart session'.

True I can wipe the cookies and start afresh but most customers don't have a clue what a cookie is let alone remove them.

I realise this has all been said before. I guess this is something we all have to live with!?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. SSL isn't the issue, as such - it's the presence or absence of "www." in the address bar. As far as browsers are concerned, domain.com and www.domain.com are different. So, assuming your SSL is for www.domain.com, if a user enters the store on domain.com and starts adding items to their cart, a cookie is set for domain.com and the user's cart is saved to that. Then they go to the checkout and are redirected to www.domain.com. Their browser thinks that there is no cookie for www.domain.com so the cart appears empty. Hope that makes sense.

And yes, SSL on all pages is not ideal. A redirect is the better option.

Since http://mysite.tld does not equal http://www.mysite.tld (www vs. non-www) this empty cart problem always occurs when one or the other is forced by the webstore using SSL (note that when ordering/applying SSL you must choose one or the other - with or without www).

So, it is important to redirect via htaccess, to ensure that all your visitors are viewing the store addressed in browser appropriately. This solves most of the mysterious 'empty basket' issues. In versions CC3 and CC4, the store URL was coded into global.inc.php, and it was important that the SSL address matched that setting for "www", I think this has been changed in v5 so that CC code auto-determines the store URL being used and assigns it to a constant.

Your solution, I think, is to use a redirect in htaccess file to force browser to use correct URL (with or without www, as the case may be).

Check this topic, http://forums.cubecart.com/topic/46575-how-to-redirect-com-names/ and the link http://www.htaccessbasics.com/force-www-nonwww-domain/

FYI (not that this contributes much to the discussion):

If the web server (e.g., Apache) determines that the site was not called using standard SSL methods and that there exists $glob['stroreURL'] and $glob['rootRel'] in the globals.inc.php file, CC5 will use those instead of what it tried to figure out on its own.

If the site was called using standard SSL methods, CC5 will use what it figured out on its own.

Hello and thanks for the responses,

I appear to have an issue with redirecting as suggested in this thread which is the cause of my empty basket scenarios. Having looked into this further I now notice that all of the links in my categories menu redirect to mystore.com when in fact my shop is a .co.uk additionally I note that all other links from within the site i.e. all links that are not part of the main categories menu correctly point to mystore.co.uk.

Essentially this means that anyone who enters the site and uses the main menu is directed to mystore.com rendering the basket functionality usless as and cant make a purchase.

This is a problem to say the least. Any help greatly appreciated a response today would be great if possible.

I should mention that I have a parked domain for the store which is .com but this has been redirected to my .co.uk URL from cpanel.

Im completley lost at this stage! :dizzy:

Thanks in advance.

Joining this topic as I have a long time customer who emailed ".... this is my 4th attempt at placing this order. I was working on several things at once, so I would be away from this order for 5-10 minutes and when I came back to it the order was erased and I had to start over again. "

I could not reproduce the issue until this morning. During testing I've had items stay in my Basket for days or weeks. BUT - At this moment I have Chrome and Firefox open to the account page for the same user with the exact same URL and Chrome shows an empty Basket and Firefox shows seven items.

URL for both browsers is: https://www.luciasim....php?_a=account

Sometimes the URL has the index.php?_a=account&PHPSESSID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The site uses SSL for the basket/checkout and Account pages.

Joining this topic as I have a long time customer who emailed ".... this is my 4th attempt at placing this order. I was working on several things at once, so I would be away from this order for 5-10 minutes and when I came back to it the order was erased and I had to start over again. "

I could not reproduce the issue until this morning. During testing I've had items stay in my Basket for days or weeks. BUT - At this moment I have Chrome and Firefox open to the account page for the same user with the exact same URL and Chrome shows an empty Basket and Firefox shows seven items.

URL for both browsers is: https://www.luciasim....php?_a=account

Sometimes the URL has the index.php?_a=account&PHPSESSID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The site uses SSL for the basket/checkout and Account pages.

I tried closing and re-opening Chrome with no affect - Basket still empty. Firefox still shows the same user with 7 items.

And then in interesting development (to me...). I logged out of Google Chrome and logged back in - pow all 7 items in my basket re-appeared. I logged in using https and www in the URL as was my prior session.