Change text "Free Shipping" on checkout not possible?

Hi,

After struggling for a while I'm not capable of changing the text of "Free Shipping" and "Flat Rate" in another text. (read: another language)

I found out it's not in the standard language files you can change in the admin CP. In the mod files directly some changes didn't help either.

Any urgent help for this??? Our client is already waiting for these last changes in order to get the shop online. So urgent help would be highly appreciated!

Regards,

Boudi

PS: posted this topic in 3rd party forum too but no solution. Need solution very quick. Help needed.

It's entirely possible to enhance/change any language. But directly editing the appropriate language file directly is the dangerous way to do it.

You are saying Free Shipping is a phrase found in the list of "Shipping Charges" choices presented to the shopper at the last stage of checking out?

Please answer these questions:

1. Are you signed in as an admin while at the same time you are logged in as a regular customer and you see Free Shipping as a shipping charge option?

2. If so, try being signed out as an admin, then as a logged in customer, what does the phrase say?

3. If still "Free Shipping", what language is the rest of the store displaying?

bsmither is right, you can enhance/change any text string in any language. well, he is 99.44% right.

The other 0.66% percent where you can't do that, is exactly in this location, the shipping dropdown.

This text string comes from the actual name of the shipping method, and derived from the folder name? a bit weird I must admit. So if you really wanted to change this text, you would need to "hard code" it into the the template. Once hard coded, you should only have 1 shipping method enabled. If you're willing to to do that, let me know, i'll post instruction.

I did, in fact, change the info in the admin, Shipping, Free Shipping module. Initially, there was nothing in this module's settings. I added "No Charge" to the Name field and 5000 to the Minimum Subtotal. I enabled its status. (I also have Flat Rate enabled.) The result is this:

Select your shipping method [drop down] where [drop down] is:

--Please Select --

Free Shipping

$0.00 (No Charge) <- CC5 selected this as cheapest

Flat Rate

$11.98 (FRB3)

(The [drop down] is auto-updating.)

My theories (and I should have been more observant): if the module has no info in its settings page, the module's XML->info->name is used. However, these XML nodes are supposed to be able to be over-ridden with phrases stored in the database from using the Language Phrases editing pages. (Recently, I posted a bug about a language issue, but more experimentation is necessary.)

Renaming the XML->info->name node to Cool_Free_Shipping caused the Free Shipping option to be missing from the drop down.

Renaming the Free_Shipping folder to Cool_Free_Shipping and entering the settings info did not add Cool Free Shipping to the drop down. So I dumped the cart and stated over. Still no Cool Free Shipping. I'll have to find the cause of that. So, no conclusion yet on where the source of the Shipping Name is actually coming from.

I had offered my results on the 3rd party forum, but I'll repeat it here. When I changed the Name of the module from within the Free Shipping settings - where the hint is "e.g. Next Day Delivery, Free Shipping etc…" - it showed on the Customer side just as I had modified it.

Hello,

First of all, thank you all for your time to help me out. I really appreciate it. So in fact my question isn't that strange since it seems hardly possible to change just a simple line.

To be honest, I'm a bit shocked on this. This means that the shop is in fact almost useless for non English users.

I'm open to all kind of solutions.

@ Dirty, In my case, and from the other users, your answer didn't work. Strange it did in your case.

UPDATE: May be it's an idea to point at the developers of CC to see what solution there is for this odd ( and not non English friendly) problem/bug?

There are several places where the module name can be found:

1. the folder name - Free_Shipping

2. in Free_Shipping/config.xml line 6 - <name><![CDATA[Free_Shipping]]></name>

3. in Free_Shipping/shipping.class.php line 2 - class Free_Shipping {

4. in Free_Shipping/language/module.definitions.xml line 3 - <group name="free_shipping"> - and line 5 - <string name="module_title"><![CDATA[Free Shipping]]></string>

5. in Free_Shipping/skin/admin/index.tpl line 2 - <div id="Free_Shipping" class="tab_content">

I know that if 1 and 3 (and probably 2, maybe all the rest as well) don't match, the module falls over.

So yes, you can rename the module by editing all of the above, but this isn't ideal, and wouldn't be any use at all on a multi-language store.

There must be a bug here, unless I'm missing something - if I go to the Languages section in the admin dashboard and select the Modules - Shipping - Free_Shipping phrase group I can edit the phrases, but the change doesn't show on the front end. Changing the Name in the module settings (Dashboard > Modules > Shipping > Free Shipping) will change the text in the option on the checkout page - the bit that says $0.00 (Free Shipping) - but doesn't change the text of the option group name.

It is possible (sortof) to hide just the optgroup label, and you can then change the text of the option in the module settings Name field (this is still useless for multi-language stores though). Add to your CSS:

optgroup[label="Free Shipping"]{

color:#fff;

}

optgroup[label="Free Shipping"] option{

color:#000;

}

Finding the cause of this language anomaly has been like nailing Jello® to a tree. I've basically found where it happens and basically how it happens.

It is triggered (as best I can determine) such that if the store is in Language-A (say, Spanish) and when the language loader tries to find in the module's language folder a matching Language-A file.

Not finding one (none have one save the module installer module), the language loader seems to reload the definitions.xml file (contains default phrases) and subverts part of the aggregate language array. It should look in the database for any translated phrases. (And I think perhaps it does.)

Or, it could be if a "hook" is brought into play, the hook calls a standard part of any module that one of its jobs is to fetch the language file for that module. Not finding one... etc.

Or, whatever.

I need to rerun some experiments.

But, the language files are for the static phrases found throughout the store. That is, anything other than that having entered a value into a form (aside from the language editor).

My next experiment will be to create the modulesshippingFree_Shippinglanguagees-ES.xml file and have it match the format of the module installer language file.

Then maybe find out how to export (from where?) the phrases in a specified language to a file in the proper folder.

So, for "Free Shipping", in the shipping drop-down on the checkout page, there is the Free Shipping phrase (called an optgroup), as well as $0.00 (Free Shipping) that comes from the form on the Free Shipping module's settings page (Viola's #2). The module.definitions.xml file gives CC the static phrases for the module's settings page and has nothing to do with the language of the values entered into the form's fields.

I think the solution would be to incorporate a 'Language" tab on the module's settings page (like Allowed Zones and Disallowed Zones) that identify what language these settings belong to. (So, that might mean for the Name field: English="No Charge", Spanish="Sin costo alguno", Frech="Sans frais", and maybe different minimum subtotals for currency exchange rates?? Maybe just put the white plus in a green circle image -- add language -- next to the Name field.)

Again thank you Brian and Viola to straighten things out. @ Voila, I was indeed this far too, Changed all the files/folder that you mentioned but nothing happens (When changing the folder name the Free Shipping text in the dropdown wil dissapear). Your second option to make the text the same as the background is indeed a temporarily, but not clean, solution. But...it is one for now.

@ Brian, Yes indeed, for a few days I tried all the options and possibilities that were possible. And your thought crossed my mind too. I really think the only way is to create/incorparate specific language files (or CC developers....) extend the current language files with the option to change the text.

But after a lot of searching, responses and no solution I think there's a task for CC here to come with a solution for, what is in my opinion, a primairy problem.

Again...thank you for your time and effort to find out if this indeed was an error or not.

Changed all the files/folder that you mentioned but nothing happens (When changing the folder name the Free Shipping text in the dropdown wil dissapear).

Hmm.... you changed the class name (3. in the list), right? And did you clear out your cache - not sure if that will fix it, but it's always worth a try. I have done this successfully before, although that was with the Flat Rate module, so it's quite possible I've missed something. At least the CSS trickery works. :)