Is there any way to improve customer SEARCH experience?

Dirty Butter

Another question for search based on your RLIKE method outlined above:

Is there any way to allow search to "skip" a provided list of stop words, such as a, all, and, with, for .... as appropriate to searches I see people using on our site. We seem to meet the needs of a customer base who mostly have no idea how to search logically. I have seen search terms such as "all pink teddy bears with flowers" - which will not find anything!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK this fixed my issues, I am on stock 6.0.6 and searching for products codes with hyphens in now works! I am very happy, one more issue off my list. 

I don't know about the problems with word ordering however...

• 1 year later...

6.1.0SEARCHcatalogue.class.php

I'm revisiting this thread in a preemptive strike concerning GitHub download of 6.1.0 as it is as of today. I've tested my edited version of files, but with the stock 6.1.0 catalogue.class.php. It does not provide a narrowed down search results list.

So, I've attached my ATTEMPT to merge the refined search code you provided in this thread with the stock 6.1.0 catalogue.class.php. I'm not sure about the last line of code and it may be that @bsmither or others will see a better way to improve the 6.1.0 stock file.

I have concluded that the last line of code in the 6.0.12 catalogue.class.php keeps the Sort from working properly with 6.1.0 attempt with Bsmither's search code. I had not been sure whether that was needed to get Bsmither's search code to work or not.

So                             $searchArray[] = $word; is NOT to be used with this search code in 6.1.0 as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2015 at 2:47 PM, Dirty Butter said:

Is there any way to allow search to "skip" a provided list of stop words, such as a, all, and, with, for .... as appropriate to searches I see people using on our site. We seem to meet the needs of a customer base who mostly have no idea how to search logically. I have seen search terms such as "all pink teddy bears with flowers" - which will not find anything!!!

This issue still has not been addressed, as far as I can tell in stock or edited search code. Another example from today of a Customer Search that produced NO results, when it would have without the stop word "with" being there:

.../search.html?_a=category&search%5Bkeywords%5D=pink+puffalump+bear+with+white+dress

Is there any way to create a database table of stop words appropriate for a particular store's inventory and then have the Search ignore those words? I found these directions that seemed to be what I would want:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/fulltext-stopwords.html

http://99webtools.com/blog/list-of-english-stop-words/

• 1 year later...

Archived