Resolved - Add 3% charges if paypal selected

Guest code2sucess

Guest code2sucess

Hi,

I am new to Cubecart and in this forum.

I need help regarding paypal gateway, i just want to customize it.

When user selects paypal as payment method i want to charge extra 3% of the total order amount.

Kindly guide me how i can achieve this.

Welcome code2sucess! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

May we ask what other payment gateways you have enabled on your store? Do you directly accept the paper currency of your country?

If Paypal is the only gateway, then raise your prices on all your products by 3% to cover that cost of doing business.

If you accept cash (checks or money orders), you can offer a 3% discount on the Print Order Form gateway.

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge about the several Paypal payment methods offered in Cubecart to help with any code tweaks.

Guest code2sucess

Hi,

Thanks, yes there are other payments methods available and we only accept through credit card. What i m thinking every gateway has its own file there either i use javascript or PHP i would calculate and charge the customer. if there is any other way let me know.

There is PayPal, and then there is PayPal Pro with three sub-gateways: Direct Payments, Express Payments, and Hosted Payments.

Let's work on the plain PayPal. In modules/gateway/PayPal foler, there is a file called gateway.class.php. This function, public function fixedVariables(), has a line that gets the basket total ready to send.

Make that line look like: 'amount' => $this->_basket['total'] * 1.03,

That bumps the amount reported to PayPal up by 3%.

Need we warn you that your customer, eventually noticing that PayPal charged $103 instead of $100, without some sort of explanation, is going to open up a can whoopa$$? (I would.)

Similar edits can be made to gateway.class.php in the /modules/plugins/PayPal_Pro folder. But I am not familiar with how the PayPal Pro code works. So, if finding and changing $this->_basket['total'] doesn't work for this module, I have no additional advice to offer.

Just adding to the business side of this, do you other payment types attact zero processing cost to you? Here in the UK, most business accounts are not free, so depositing cash, cheque etc has some kind of cost.

Credit card terminal may also have 2% fee - so I would look at the costs involved (including your time) of taking other payments before charging extra for PayPal.

I would (and do) leave stores that charge extra for PayPal, and I hope this is something you can re-think. You'll either upset any previous customers, or put off new customers, and possibly end up with PayPal getting upset.