Adding a request box to some products

Guest Hendy 264

Guest Hendy 264

Firstly I would like to say Hello, and I am in no way an expert on site building. I had a site build for me about 5 years ago and it has seen better days. I tried to update it and could not do it (i could not understand the code), anyway i decided to try and build one using pickaweb hosting and one of the ecommerce sites within, and found this one to be easy to work out, however before I purchase the serial key I wanted to know if it was going to be suitable for what I want.The site I have (of air) is an engraving site, and as I now sell wall art I wanted to put both things onto the same site.

I need to have a drop down or permanent box with the engraving products so that customers can tell me what they would like on an item, I dont know if this can be done ,,,as I said I have not got a clue, and if it can be done to accommodate the engraved items and altered to suit some of the wall art items.

Thanks in advance

Welcome Hendy 264! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

First, it is interesting how you have managed to get CC5 to show a different skin for the Homepage vs the skin to show the product.

When creating an option for a product, you choose how that option will be presented. As of CC514, your only choices to show options is by means of a drop-down selector, a text field, or a multi-line text box (aka textarea field).

I think a textarea is the best approach.

If you have any questions about doing this, feel free to ask.

Guest Hendy 264

Thank you Dirty Butler for your information, I will have a look at third party forum and see what I can find.

Thank you bsmither also for your input, I did try that earlier for a text box option but could not get it to work, probably because I do not know what I am doing. I shall mess about with it later today when I get thge chance and see if I can manage it, failing that I shall give you a shout and I will ask once again for your help

Thanks Guys

Guest Hendy 264

An Update, I have managed to put the text box next to an item,,,,next problem how do I get the text that a customer would enter to show on the order, any Ideas please

Thanks

An Update, I have managed to put the text box next to an item,,,,next problem how do I get the text that a customer would enter to show on the order, any Ideas please

Thanks

Did you do this by adding a textarea option to the product, as bsmither suggested, or by some other means? It seems to me that if you have created a textarea option this should work automatically.

Guest Hendy 264

Hello there Markscarts, yes mate i did it like bsmither said, but have since taken it out again, I did some trial runs on it and cannot see the text showing up in the order, so Im doing something wrong. I think its down to me with the trial runs as I tried to do a payment with paypal sandbox, but being a cluless gitt I have not done that right either, so I will spend some time when I get a chance and try again. I take it when I add this text box, It should leave the typing on the order because the same thing is used for sizes like small medium large, sorry if im not making sense at the mo, not long out of bed, and doing night shifts,,,,,