new seo urls in version 5.1.5

generaldogsbody

I have upgraded from version 4 to 5.1.5. Every seo friendly category url has changed. Cubecart support say that this is intentional and provides more friendly seo urls. What they cant answer is my concern about my old seo urls which I spent hours building back links to and which have a PR .

e.g. the old url is www.mydomain.com/category/cat_9.html

the new url is www.mydomain.com/category.html

Cubecart support say "The two urls (old and new) both include the proper rel="canonical" reference in the meta tags so that all search engines will properly update their listings and NOT penalize you for duplicate content."

My question is - (OKay this is fair enough for duplicate content - but what about PR and backlinks???)

I then asked cubecart support the following question "Why are all the new urls shown as not being indexed by Google instead of showing the PR of the old url" . Surely the canonical reference is instant. It certainly is when you use it for www. and non-www.

Their reply is "Google doesn't update instantly. Unless you are a huge system like twitter. With time your links will all update correctly."

I need to know whether this is true or not. I thought a canonical reference was instant and had nothing to do with indexing from Google. Can anyone please advise on this matter as I need to know that my old seo friendly urls will be preserved along with their PR and backlinks.

This is what should be in the .htaccess file located in the main folder of the CubeCart application:

## File Security

<FilesMatch ".(htaccess)$">

Order Allow,Deny

Deny from all

</FilesMatch>

#### Apache directory listing rules ####

DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html

IndexIgnore *

#### Rewrite rules for SEO functionality ####

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

######## START v4 SEO URL BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY ########

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteRule cat_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?(.*)$    index.php?_a=category&cat_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule prod_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?$        index.php?_a=product&product_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule info_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?$        index.php?_a=document&doc_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule tell_([0-9]+)(.[a-z]{3,4})?$        index.php?_a=product&product_id=$1&%1 [NC]

RewriteRule _saleItems(.[a-z]+)?(?.*)?$        index.php?_a=saleitems&%1 [NC,L]

######## END v4 SEO URL BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY ########

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico

RewriteRule ^(.*).html?$ index.php?seo_path=$1 [L,QSA]

</IfModule>

If this file is not there, or does not contain anything like the above, then please make the edits.

The last four Rewrite statements are those pertinent to CC5-style friendly URLs.

In the admin side of the store, Store Settings, Search Engines tab, the sample .htaccess file might/should have all this.

that is exactly the same as my .htaccess file, thanks. so I guess I am back to my original questions

Cubecart support say "The two urls (old and new) both include the proper rel="canonical" reference in the meta tags so that all search engines will properly update their listings and NOT penalize you for duplicate content."

My question is - (OKay this is fair enough for duplicate content - but what about PR and backlinks???)

I then asked cubecart support the following question "Why are all the new urls shown as not being indexed by Google instead of showing the PR of the old url" . Surely the canonical reference is instant. It certainly is when you use it for www. and non-www.

Their reply is "Google doesn't update instantly. Unless you are a huge system like twitter. With time your links will all update correctly."

I need to know whether this is true or not. I thought a canonical reference was instant and had nothing to do with indexing from Google. Can anyone please advise on this matter as I need to know that my old seo friendly urls will be preserved along with their PR and backlinks.

Surely everyone who upgrades cubecart and subsequently has their urls changed would like to know the answer! Why does no-one seem to be concerned about this.

• 7 months later...

that is exactly the same as my .htaccess file, thanks. so I guess I am back to my original questions

Surely everyone who upgrades cubecart and subsequently has their urls changed would like to know the answer! Why does no-one seem to be concerned about this.

Yes, I would like to know about this also