Taxes in my State

bkessler91

Yay taxes!

My shop is located in PA.  We tax goods and shipping to people only in PA.

When a new customer, who it not registered with my site, adds things to their shopping cart and views their cart, it shows Tax.

If I turn the tax option off, it obviously does not show tax.  But when I place something in my cart and pretend to check out, showing I am in PA, it does not add tax. 

Is there a way to show tax, only after they have registered and say that they are in PA?

I think there should be a disclaimer, with some sort of superscripted asterisk or number '1' next to the tax and (maybe) shipping that references the disclaimer, which says this is only an estimate.

¹ Estimated value which may change once billing & delivery address has been specified.

In the skin, I think we can use this 'estimated' flag to hide the tax thing.

Find this file in your skin folder: content.checkout.php, and find:

{foreach from=$TAXES item=tax}

<p><span class="price">{$CUSTOMER_LOCALE.mark} {$tax.value}</span>{$tax.name}</p>

{/foreach}

Change the middle line to:
      {if !$CUSTOMER_LOCALE.description}<p><span class="price">{$CUSTOMER_LOCALE.mark} {$tax.value}</span>{$tax.name}</p>{/if}

Once $CUSTOMER_LOCALE goes to false (or empty), then the taxes will be displayed. And it should go false when CubeCart has a definite idea about the taxable address.

Let us know how it works.