Resolved - Templates for Customer e-mails

Brian T

Hi,

I'm trying to edit the e-mails which are sent to customers when they place an order.  The e-mails in particular I'd like to edit are the ones which acknowledge and confirm the order, and the one which tells customers that their digital order fiels are ready for download.

Unfortunately I can't find the files where the text is stored.  Anyone know where they are, so I can edit them.

Many thanks.

Please click Email Templates. You will find a list of the currently available Email Contents templates in various languages. Click the language you wish to edit.

On the new page that appears, you are given tabs for Subject, the HTML portion of an email, and the PlainText portion of an email.

For the language dropdown selector under the Subject field, make sure it is  still set to the language you are editing.

For the content, You are given a list of "Macros" (the template engine placeholders). Be advised that this list is in no way connected to what is actually available. While what is presented in the list is, in fact, available, there is a lot more.

Also on the Email Templates screen, there is a tab for Email Templates. Edit these to have a header with store logo and footer.

There is an issue with using the editor on a block of repeating info, a list of items for example. Switching to Source Code mode will reveal the {foreach} template instructions that must be in place, even though the editor will not show them in normal editing mode.

The contents of these emails are initial provided in the /language/email_*.xml files, but when entering the Email Templates section of admin for the first time, they are databased, and any edits are performed on the content from the database.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have managed to customise some email templates, order completed etc. my questions are

1. on test orders i get the same email text as set in the html text template.

What is the plain text because this is different from the html text and it does not appear on the emails.

2. Should the plain text and html text be the same?

1. Back in the early days of the email system, plain text was all you had. Web Browsers, HTML, and Internet had not even been thought of as yet. So, still today, there are a few email programs that do not do rich text (aka HTML).

Then came the brilliant(!) idea of using the HTML rendering engine of the web browser to render HTML-coded emails. ("Entering from stage-left are hundreds of exploits that these email programs provide.")

An email is really a plain text message that has an attachment which is the HTML content. So, there are two parts to a modern email. (Many emailed newsletters simply have as the plain text, "If your reader cannot display the fancy part, go here.")

The better email programs allowed the user to choose which mode of viewing their emails by default: plain text (and thus safe from exploits) or HTML (that automatically opened the attachments, fetched javascript, etc).

If you read your emails by visiting your web-based account (GMail, Yahoo, etc), you may not have been given the ability to read the email's plain text part. The email composing window may not allow you to compose in plain text. These services may not even create the plain text part on outgoing emails.

With respect to CubeCart, the emails sent to customers have both the plain text and the rich text parts (Good for Devellion!) I will say that the plain text part is not shown to you because your reader is not configured to, or simply cannot, display it.

2. Yes. They should say the same thing. The plain text part does not have images, tables, styles, etc.