Gift Certificate doesn't reduce price in checkout - please advise&

fairview

Hello

using version 5.2, customized vanilla skin, www.fetchingpretty.com/shop

In development/testing stage.

I set up gift certificates (worked!), purchased one (worked!), tried to apply it to a second purchase (didn't work - it accepted the certificate but didn't adjust the price of the basket).

In the admin side, the value of the gift certificate was appropriately reduced by the value of the basket not including shipping or taxes.

The invoice/receipt generated didn't show anything about the gift certificate used.

This is an important part of this client's store, so any help getting it ironed out would be appreciated.

thanks, Sue

"tried to apply it to a second purchase (didn't work - it accepted the certificate but didn't adjust the price of the basket). In the admin side, the value of the gift certificate was appropriately reduced by the value of the basket not including shipping or taxes."

Having mentioned this is running on a modified Vanilla skin, I would suggest you switch the skin to a standard skin and determine if the issue remains. If it does, then we can eliminate the modified skin as a variable.

The invoice/receipt generated didn't show anything about the gift certificate used.

There may have been (or if actually not, could be added) a mention about some discounted amounts applied.

* Subtotal

* Discount

* Shipping

* Taxes

* Grand Total

If, as the customer, you were to review that order from the customer's Account pages, is the Grand Total correct as opposed to the checking out process Grand Total not being correct?

Ok so I tested it in a un-altered skin, and had the same response. 

The gift certificate (in the amount of $25) which looked great all the way through the process in the administrative panel, never reduced the price to the person who used it.  The order in the control panel, under notes, shows that the GC was used, the GC is reduced in value by the amount of the purchase, but the purchase itself is not reduced in price at all.  It is never reflected in the invoice, the account history, or anywhere.

shipping is set to flat rate.  could that be a problem?

I am making progress. And I have witnessed what you have observed. The code seems to suggest that there would be no problem, but when going through the motions, the subtotal of the order was not reduced --- until I clicked on Update Cart first, then clicked on Checkout.

Again, the code suggests the monies in the GC should be available at the first screen that presents the field to enter the GC code number.

As for administrating the activity of a GC:

* You can know who bought a GC. This can be seen at this admin screen:

/admin.php?_g=products&node=coupons#certificates

* There is no current way to quickly know if an order had employed anything that had reduced the total of the order. Only by looking at the Notes tab of an Order Summary screen will you see what coupon or certificate was used.

* It can be presumed that whoever used a GC is the person the email was sent when the GC was purchased. But I find no record of the email address, name, and message the purchaser entered in the GC product form when the GC was purchased. (You may want to know this, but does your customer want you to know this?)

hmm..  I can't  get it to apply by clicking update basket..  the value shows up as a discount (in red) in the basket, but the total price doesn't ever change..  not after clicking update basket, or after clicking update basket and then checkout.

I am surprised that the details re' who the GC is sent to aren't treated a bit like options..  as a store operator I would want to know because the recipient may call and say the email was lost etc etc looking for a resend or to know the code.