upgraded to lastest version and deleted set up folder custom skin is g

irori

Hey everyone,

I just upgraded to the latest version of cubecart 5.2.0

I also deleted the setup folder as my store was warning me about this constantly.

Now I am looking at my store and my custom skin styling is gone, its a mess and would like to fix it before customers get a view!

I can see both the orginal mican skin which I called micanorginal and mican skin in my files so not sure why it has diverted to the standard one...

help!

www.peacefulsilkworms.com.au/shop

I would think that the folder named 'micanoriginal' was not overwritten by the folder name 'mican' that comes with CubeCart.

As I understand your method, you created a safety copy of mican and called it micanoriginal, then proceeded to modify the standard mican skin keeping that name, 'mican'.

Then the new package of CubeCart overwrote the existing installation, folder for folder, including the mican folder.

(Deleting the setup folder is irrelevant to your situation.)

Do you have a backup of your custom mican skin?

It's always wise to rename a skin from it's supplied/shipped name for this very reason (folder and the XML config file). You don't want to lose your customisations. The only solution is to restore your backup of the skin, and apply any skin changes in the new release to your custom skin.

For both the folder and a statement in the config.xml within that folder, change the word 'mican' to 'silkworm'. Again, the name of the folder and a statement in the config.xml file having the word mican.

Then in the admin Store Settings, change the default skin to 'silkworm'.

I believe that is all that is necessary.

When the next version of CubeCart overwrites all the other folders, 'silkworm' won't be.

For both the folder and a statement in the config.xml within that folder, change the word 'mican' to 'silkworm'. Again, the name of the folder and a statement in the config.xml file having the word mican.

Then in the admin Store Settings, change the default skin to 'silkworm'.

I believe that is all that is necessary.

When the next version of CubeCart overwrites all the other folders, 'silkworm' won't be.

I just changed the folder and statement in config.xml but could not find 'silkworm' as an option in my admin even after logging out and refreshing. Not sure why this happened?

Would you please try to clear the cache : admin, Maintenance, Rebuild tab, check all the boxes that say Clear...

Then view the /cache folder and /cache/skin/ folder and if anything remains (except .htaccess), delete those files.

Then log in to admin and see if the list of skins has refreshed to include the new folder.

And I think there is actually three statements in config.xml. For example:

<uid>[email protected]</uid>
    <type>skin</type>
    <name><![CDATA[kurouto]]></name>
    <display><![CDATA[Kurouto]]></display>

Should be:

<uid>[email protected]</uid>
    <type>skin</type>
    <name><![CDATA[silkworm]]></name>
    <display><![CDATA[Silkworm]]></display>

Ok it is working now but my header image is gone.

I did not do the /cashe folder and the /cache/skin/ folder as I am not sure where these are? in admin or cpanel?

Ok it is working now but my header image is gone.

I did not do the /cashe folder and the /cache/skin/ folder as I am not sure where these are? in admin or cpanel?

Its ok, Just had to choose 'silkworm' skin for my logo.......all good now as far as I can see, Thankyou!

Don't forget to apply crtical skin changes to your custom skin. You'll need file comparison software like 'Beyond Compare' to highlight the changes between the version you had, and the version you've just upgraded to.

This sounds like more work than I have time for! Is there anyway around this?

Yes, there are two other ways around this (other than bsmithers' suggestion). Always use the shipped skin that comes with each version you upgrade to, or get yourself a web developer... plenty at CubeCartForums.org.

Yes, there are two other ways around this (other than bsmithers' suggestion). Always use the shipped skin that comes with each version you upgrade to, or get yourself a web developer... plenty at CubeCartForums.org.

approximate time it takes?

approximate time it takes?

Probably not long. But you'll need to ask a developer.

Also worth noting that changes to the skin files are often not as extensive, often minimal and perhaps only couple of files with some skins and a kind soul often posts a "comare them" file here.

For instance I just upgraded from 5.15 to 5.21 and the skin mods i made all stuck with my originals. And today I'm trying to find the "compare" file on the forum or CC support to check if I need to fix any specific lines.

Often when a kind person posts the "changes" file here as a courtesy you can scroll or search through that for your skin and then it will show side by side things like line 56 on skins/skin/filenamx.php "blah blah blah" which you can copy-paste over your modded skin to be "up to date" with any technical element such as dbase calls or pushes.

On Windows, TextPad is an awesome free application for editing your files while keeping essential things like line breaks and viewing the line numbers. Worth learning, vs paying somebody to do it for you. Also be careful with some of the consultants on the forums as I went to work with one, and he had CC for his payment thing but didn't have an SSL cert for payments online (BAD!), and another person selling expertise had downloads, but when you checked out using CC, he wasn't using  the digital download function built in to CC which seemed wonky to me. Always check feedback on ANY consultant and make sure the feedback isn't from somebody who is a shill (meaning that person only ever provided feedback or posts for the person being "recommended"). Sorry to rant on this here, but came to mind on the topic.

Upshot ... checking the compare file for each upgrade is a quick way to see how much actually changed if anything with skin files, to give you peace of mind. Then proceed from there. :-)