Resolved - Shipping by weight issue

Nikki72

I've recently started shipping outside the UK. I've setup the zones, weights and prices etc but i've just had an order from Belgium and found that he selected the shipping method which is only supposed to be available to UK customers instead of the international shipping method. I've gone through the motions on my website myself and found when i get to the cart (without signing in) only the UK method is shown :dizzy:

I've attached a screenshot below but i basically have Recorded Delivery for UK customers with the correct country codes and International Signed For for outside of the UK. I've added the country codes and prices etc for each method so i don't understand whats going on so i'm presuming i've set this up wrong. I'd very much appreciate it if someone could take a look at the screenshot and let me know where i've gone wrong please :unsure:

shipping_zps95a43a53.png

I see two shipping options: "1st Class Recorded" (the so-called "UK" method?) and "International Tracked" (the so-called "International" or "Intl" method?).

Limiting the analysis to Belgium (BE), I see a 'BE' in Zone 2 which has this weight band:
not above 100g = 1.85
not above 110g = 2.15
not above 200g = 3.19
not above 500g = 3.70
not above 750g = 4.30
etc

So, for an order where the customer has not yet provided a shipping country, CubeCart will use the store's country as a guess and indicate with a superscripted '1' that this shipping value is a guess.

Once CubeCart knows the shipping country (BE), it will find the Zone and use its weight bands.

In theory.

At checkout, the guess of shipping choices would be for GB and show only "1st Class Recorded". Once no longer a guess for CubeCart, the shipping choices would be for BE and show only "1st Class Recorded".

That's how I see it.

I don't find JE, GG, or BFPO as a country. (And other codes in the other zones.)

So I would say that if BE is to have the "Intl" method, then it should be in Zone 3.

JE is Jersey and BFPO is British Armed Forces Post Office Box.

I understand why only the UK option is shown until someone has registered or logged in but are you saying that all International countries, prices etc should be in Zone 3 rather than Zone 2?

Did you add those countries? Are they considered countries (CubeCart_geo_country database table) as opposed to counties/states (CubeCart_geo_zones table) of a country?

If you want to ship at international rates to internal countries, then the ISO code for those international countries needs to be in a zone that has international rates -- such as Zone 3.

Thank you. They are registered through the UK post office system, i'm not sure about CubeCart though :)

So what is Zone 2 for then?

Currently i have Zone 2 set to EU countries and Zone 3 to the rest of the world. Should that be Zone 3 and 4 instead then??

I prefer to think of zones as 'distance bands' - although shipping purely  by weight somewhat distorts that approach.

Zone 1 could represent all destinations within 10km of you. But, if your neighbor Belgium (BE) is within 10km of you (just go with me on this), yet the Postal Service considers BE to be 'International', then you would put BE in the International Tracked line of Zone 1 (and the weight band the Postal Service charges for a destination this close, but still "International").

Zone 2 could represent destinations up to 1000km. This bigger circle encompasses most of GB as well as now encompassing a few more other countries. The Postal Service will no doubt have rates applicable to 'Domestic' and 'International' that can go as far as 1000km (but, again, shipping by weight alone distorts this approach).

With BE at 10km and International, and Greece (GR) at 1000km and International, the shipping costs should be different, agreed? Hence the need for 'distance bands'.

To answer your question directly, I need to ask you-- Does your Postal Service charge the same for a kilo to Egypt (EG) vs South Africa (ZA)? If yes, then the "rest of the world" can fit in Zone 3. If different, then you decide if putting ZA in Zone 4 would be appropriate, or collect money for both EG and ZA at the same rates.

Zones are for distinctions that make sense -- typically distance. But there could be other distinctions. It might be cheaper to ship container cargo to New York than New Delhi because of exorbitant Suez Canal transit fees. Or cheaper to ship to Canada as a Most Favored Nation Treaty arrangement than shipping to Norway. Again, zones are for distinctions that make sense and are appropriate for the shipping carrier used.

Zone 2 would be the EU countries other than GB, but they are all International and would be shipped using International Tracked if that is what your Postal Service requires.

Now i'm more confused because unless i'm missunderstanding your reply, it does look like i have things set up correctly then :dizzy:

I'm in the UK and have Zone 1 setup for the UK to use Royal Mail Recorded. Zone 2 is setup for countries within the EU to use International Signed for and Zone 3 for countries outside of the EU to also use International Shipping.

According to the image you posted, Zone 2 has a weight band in 1st Class Recorded.

You're absolutely right, well spotted!  */*  Thats obviously where the problem was. Bloody numpty! lol

Thank you for pointing that out. It's amazing what you don't see right infront of you when you've looked at it so many times lol.

You've come to my rescue again :wub:

• 1 month later...
Guest pmpss

Hi,

i have problem. why my rate in shipping by weight not follow my setting..
eg: 1:9,2.01:15,3.01:25,4.01:29,5.01:34,6:40,7:45,8:50,9:55,10:60,11:65,12.01:70.00,13:76,14:82,15:87,16:92,17:97,18:102,19:108,20:113,21:118,22:124,23:128,24:134,25:139,26:145,27:150,28:155,29:160,30:165

i try to buy in shopping cart item 2.0kg, but the rate not RM15, but RM25?

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/ibnyahya87/byweightt_zps229976dc.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/ibnyahya87/byweight_zps5e563ced.png

hopefully..