SSL on store

bkessler91

So I'm set up through Authorize.net and is secure for payment information.

I'm having customers tell me that their anit-virus software and/or browser plugin toolbar is telling them that our site is not secure.

I'm looking into SSL certificates and my webhost (LunarPages) has two SSL choices. Basic and Pro

https://support.lunarpages.com/knowledge_bases/article/175

Would getting an SSL certificate and enabling SSL in cubecart help?

Thank you for any input.

"Would getting an SSL certificate and enabling SSL in cubecart help?"

Yes. When I was running my stores, I got a certificate through GoDaddy and they have three or four 'levels' of assurance. I bought the one where I had to provide copies of my business papers and they thoroughly vetted my existence. There are levels less thorough than that.

But in my opinion, a certificate behaves the same regardless of assurance level. But there are also types of certificates that vary in breadth: one and only one URL, wilcard subdomains, and maybe one for multiple domains.

What LunarPages will accept and install may be limited to the one and only one URL. Their Basic vs Pro seems to differ only in the amount of the insurance policy you are getting.

Sorry, it wasn't a suggestion or recommendation. I was just relating information I have based on my experience.

There may be a reason to force SSL on all pages. Devellion put that in there (presumably) to solve some kind of issue or to answer a reasonable request. I don't know the real rational.

So, if it solves an issue for you, then it's good. If you plan to have confidential info on what would otherwise be public-appropriate pages, then it's good. If you have no issue with some pages yes, some pages no (and some browsers have a setting that is to warn the user when leaving a secure page for an insecure page -- a huge annoyance), then the disadvantage (according to a few server box managers) is the higher computational requirements to encrypt everything.