SEO URL rewrite mod

fairview

Hi - I have several subcategories with the same name (under women I have clothing, and under children I have clothing) and when SEO Urls are enabled, the first subcategory shows up as www.domainname.com/clothing.html and the second shows up as www.domainname.com/children/clothing.html..    not a problem, except for some reason the store's logo disappears on the pages with the second type of url.

I don't understand enough about how the rewrite mod works to troubleshoot this - I can just turn the mod off and all is OK, but I would rather use the mod and don't want to have to rename my categories.

Any ideas out there?  you can see at www.fetchingpretty.com/shop/clothing.html (womens - shows the logo) and www.fetchingpretty.com/shop/children/clothing.html ( childrens - doesn't show the logo)

thanks in advance for any help.

Sue

I edited my template and made the path to the logo image absolute, which corrected the problem. I would still appreciate an explanation of why the rewrites are different - wouldn't you want to include the top level category name in all the pages?

As for your second question, when creating a category, (and if the SEO mode is enabled) you are offered the opportunity to enter a Custom SEO URL Path on the Search Engines tab. Once you give this to CubeCart, CubeCart is finished with this aspect of the category. That is, even should you rename the category or move the category to a different slot in the category tree, this path won't change. Unless you change it.

So, did (women) clothing (let's say cat_id 5) once stand as a top-level category, later moved under women (let's say cat_id 10) to make it women/clothing?

When CubeCart asks the SEO class what it should use for the friendly URL of this category (cat_id 5), the database is queried and the result, if there is one, and regardless of what it actually reads as, is used.

If you didn't supply a Custom SEO URL Path when creating the category, no record was created in the database. So, the query above returns false. In this case, the SEO class will then construct a friendly path by working it's way up from the category through its ancestor tree.

thanks - as always a clear and succinct answer! I didn't turn on seo url rewrite until well after the catalogue was loaded, so the paths must just be the result of the SEO class creation.. can I re-create the paths in the database at this point so they are consistent?

thanks again

Sue