Skin 'override' ?

Guest themartinb

Guest themartinb

Hi there

I've been asked to maintain a CubeCart site (v5.2.1 upgraded from at least 5.1.3 if not earlier) and have a question re skins...

The site I'm looking at is based on the kurouto skin however it seems that everytime an upgrade is completed the previous changes get overwritten, so is it possible to create adjustments to the skin (i'm talking minor css tweaks here not a whole rewrite) in an alternate/custom styesheet that is protected from on-going upgrades ?

Hope you can help .. cheers

You will need to give YOUR version of kurouto a different name. There are a few easy changes that then need to be made to some files to cause CC to use YOUR skin. It's been so long since I did that I don't feel confident to explain how to make those changes, but they were easy. Hopefully someone call give you those steps soon.

Once that is done any upgrades will modify the kurouto file, but not your version. All you will need to do with each upgrade is check the file difference for kurouto and make any appropriate changes to your renamed version.

Guest themartinb

Thanks for the reply .. appreciated .. I'll await detailed instructions..

On a broader point seems like it's going to create a lot of ongoing work just for the sake of some incorrectly laid out breadcrumbs .. shame such an override system isn't in place .. oh well ..

Override system? Hum, don't know why that would be preferable. Best practice is make a custom skin I think. Why is it preferable to retain the stock skin name, if it has been customized? I can see your point if you are limited to just a few CSS changes to the stock skin, but that is not typical, most folk wish to make more sweeping changes in customization.

If skin files have been altered in the upgrade to incorporate new features, etc., you can use a compare program like "BeyondCompare" to incorporate new features into your custom skin by comparing its folder to that of the latest kurouto.